john deere 4045

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by peter1962, Apr 16, 2011.

1. peter1962

peter1962 Junior Member

I would like to ask the following question : is the JD 4045 marine engine based upon the 4,5 liter agricultural engine, or is this fundamentaly a different design ? If it shares the same origin, what are the main differences ? I know that in the marine range the M3, M2 and M1 versions only differ in the programming of the injection. But I am not so sure if this engine has the same basics as the tractor unit. Can this be confirmed ?
    Regards,
    Peter

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"I know that in the marine range the M3, M2 and M1 versions only differ in the programming of the injection.

There may not be an injector program difference , just paper rating.

With dry stack and keel cooling your tractor is set to go.

In the US a few times a year "factory rebuilt" with NO CORE REQUIREMENT , makes a great deal.

A wet exhaust manifold and heat exchanger can be found from other than JD sources at huge savings.

The basic engine may be a Japanese earth mover unit K------ ?

FF

3. peter1962

peter1962 Junior Member

Thank you for your reply, FF.
    So, the basis for the JD 4045 could be a ----omatsu ? I have to admit that i am surprised. I thought that JD was producing and developing their own motorblocks, since they sell in such large volumes. Using an engine from another suplier is generaly seen with smaller engine builders.

For the water cooled exhaust manifold : do you mean to purchase this at northern lights ? Or ar there other alternatives ?

greetings,
    Peter

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"Using an engine from another suplier is generaly seen with smaller engine builders."

Not anymore with Air Police worldwide creating Tiers for mfg to climb .

All the testing required to "prove" some arbitrary set of numbers is really expensive.

Look around on the Komatsu web site and see if they have an identical (same bore & stroke) , just by chance .

Try Marine Exhaust of Alabama , if you are stick on a wet exhaust manifold.

THe stock manifold can use a custom heat blanket , and exhaust cooling water inserted after the riser at very low cost.

5. peter1962

peter1962 Junior Member

On their website, they show a wheel loader with an engine, with bore x stroke of 107mm by 124mm. That is close to the bore to stroke ratio of the john deere 4045 although the stroke is different (127mm for the JD)
    Interesting... http://www.komatsuamerica.com/default.aspx?p=equipment&f1=view&prdt_id=943

And no, wet exhaust is not a must, just exploring the different possibilities.

Regards,
    Peter

6. Dean Smith

Dean Smith Previous Member

same motor
    you have to watch your height on this engine as the mounts are low on the block
    You also will have considerable trouble finding a (complete) installation dwg with the marine gear and rear mount position JD marine are less than helpful We mated the pdf of the gear with the engine pdf and actually sent this to JD Australia,
    Apart from this it is a very good engine . Wet linered
    Depending on where you are and use you have to make sure the emissions comply Tier 2 I think in Europe
    The 6 cyl is getting great feed, same cyl sizes on Dashews boats
    cheers

7. Dean Smith

Dean Smith Previous Member

something like this

Attached Files:

• eng.jpg
      eng.jpg
      File size:
      233.5 KB
      Views:

8. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

all john deere marine engines are made by john deere.

for there small tractors they use yanmar engines .,,,but Deere does not marinize any of them.

there marine base engines are start off life as a industrial/equipment engines. M rating changes are made in the ECU by programing and on the older ones it was made in the injection pump

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.