Volvo Penta 5.7Gi-e upgrade help needed

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by mike52995, Jun 27, 2008.

1. mike52995

mike52995 New Member

I have a VP 5.7 gi in an 04 Caravelle Interceptor 212. I am chomping at the bit to get more power out of this motor. The boat currently runs a strong 59 mph on gps at 5000rpm. I am in the process of adding a piggyback computer to allow adjustments after my modifications are complete. I am not sure how much power I am looking for but I would love 65-70mph. I have a few questions for anybody that might be able to help. First off I am planning on doing heads, roller rockers, and a cam. I am debating about cast or aluminum heads, I live in Wisconsin and the boat will never see saltwater. I like the thought of less weight but I have been told that aluminum wont hold up to marine applications. Is the any truth to that? any suggestions on heads? Next would be the cam, I have read almost all of the posts on here and realized i was not nearly as smart as i once thought. I have been told that I cannot go too extreme with the cam due to the knock sensors. Is there any recomendations for a cam? I have read the previous post about the GM performance and Crane cams, I do pull tubers but I am ideally looking for top end. I am planning on doing the beehives valve springs in the process. I only want to pull the motor out 1 time. I have 2 other questions, I pulled the throttle body and it measures 74mm, is that sufficient to handle 375hp? I am also trying to find an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator but i have not had any luck. Thank you in advance for any input you may have. No I do not have room for a big block, already looked into that also.

Thank you!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.