High Oil Consuption on Rebuild 4.3L

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by tomdcat, May 25, 2008.

1. tomdcat

tomdcat Junior Member

The engine is a 4.3L mercruiser 1989 vintage with carburetor. I believe the ring where installed properly. However, I am still getting excessive oil consumption at high RPMs (>2500). I suspected the rings until I checked the Positive Crankcase Ventilation System by removing the breather and associated hoses to the valve covers. I ran for 45 mins. at both high RPMs and low…and no oil burn (too low to notice). Concurrent, I added a half of treatment of oil thickener.

Also, the oil pressure consistently stays at 80 psi while cold and between 70-80 psi when warm. Anytime it runs over 2000 rpm the meter is pegged. The upper read out limit is 80 psi but pegs about a half in further. My understanding is this is pretty normal.

I do suspect a clogged positive crankcase ventilation system. However, I do not know where the valve associated is or what exactly I need to do.

Any suggestions?

:confused: :confused:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.