Volvo Penta 280B Rubber Hooks

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by drdarrin, Dec 24, 2006.

1. drdarrin

drdarrin New Member

Hi folks. I'm in the process of getting a 1979 24 foot Skipjack FB (AQ260A w 280B outdrive) sea worthy again. I've done a survey of the dry rotted hoses, impeller, etc and found two items which Volvo refers to as "rubber hooks" which are on the outside of the transom mounting plate below where the exhaust bellows connects; one on either side. They are L shaped and have large rubber flange on one end and a pinched end on the other. I have purchased new ones and I'm trying to figure out how to replace the darn things. The exploded diagrams of the outdrive connecting components show them but give no indication of their purpose or how they might be replaced. The Selco manual I have doesn't give any indication either. I've thought about just giving them a good yank but that seems foolish. I've felt around in the bilge (yuck) trying to find out if they come all the way through and can not feel the other side.

Can someone help a newbie? PLEASE!!

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Are you talking about the two exhaust little hoses?

3. drdarrin

drdarrin New Member

I believe so. One on either side and slightly below the exhaust bellows. They come straight out about 6" then make a 90 degree turn to a hole in the mounting plate. They have a duckbill on the end. I have purchased replacements and I'm hoping I don't have to take apart too much to replace them.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.