Volvo Penta 280 outdrive tilts up on reverse

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by mrwadim, May 25, 2012.

1. mrwadim

mrwadim New Member

Hello all,

I have quite strange problem with my Volvo Penta 280 outdrive. We have been taking it out of the boat and making maintenance this spring. We have been checking for bearings in the gearbox because we have found that there is faulty o-rings and there was water in the oil. We have changed all faulty parts and putted it back together. We haven't been touching locking mechanism only the gearbox and forward/reverse wire to get gearbox out. Now when the boat is on the water and we have been trying to reverse outdrive tilts up so the lock is not working. However when I try to turn of the engine, pick up reverse gear and trying to rise up outdrive with my hand it seems to be locked pretty well as I can’t rise it up in any way. NOTICE the engine is off. After it I put forward gear and it goes up (by hands) as it should. So while my engine is OFF all seems to be working. Once I turn ON the engine and try to reverse outdrive is tilts up. How the lock can be dependent on the engine?

The engine is Volvo Penta AQ175A
    Outdrive Volvo Penta 280

Any ideas?

Thank you!

2. fishtigua

fishtigua New Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.