Making a log raft

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by paffka, May 23, 2004.

1. paffka

paffka New Member

Hello, I'm really new here.

I just began work on a log raft on my own that's gonna be used for some precision fishing. I began by sawing some logs, each from an eucalyptus tree. This brings me to my first question.

Is dry and dead wood more buoyant than green and bendy one? The live ones I obtained had some waterproof coating but felt heavier.

Each log is roughly 2.25 meters in length and 10 cm in diameter. I plan on stacking two levels of these and attaching them with centerboards and some nails. For extra measure, I'll also attach a dozen big water bottles underneath.

My second question: How can I attach them firmly to the wood?

You know the length but the width will be about 1.5 cm. I'm expecting to carry about 60 kgs of weight when I board. I won't bother with a sail but should I attach a large tiller below to avoid capsizing?

2. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

possibly tying them on,then supporting them with gluer or nails (note i said 'SUPPORT' not 'OR INSTEAD')

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Yes, the wood is wet, full of sap, and significantly heavier.

make nets for the bottles and lash them

I think you mean 1.5 m, and a tiller won't do much to help with capsize. You would be better off by offsetting a log as a pontoon on each side.

Steve

4. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

yes, two logs on either side with wide planks nailed in over the top-excellent idea.

5. im412

im412 Junior Member

here's a native one

[​IMG]

6. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

:rolleyes:
    NO NAILS!! Lash with polyethelene rope OR thru bolt (or rods).
    DON"T put the barrels "under" anything. Use net as advised but affix along the sides. If you put them under, they will be a source of constant trouble.
    There is a reason we use "waterlogged" to describe items that are barely floating. Bouyancy equalls displaced air. The drier (no sap) the log, the more air pockets.
    Rafts can be fun (and cheap).
    I think I would bundle 3 or 4 logs, tight together to make a BIG log for each side of your raft. This allows some of those logs to ride above the water and dry & remain dry. This is better than the same number of logs spread out I think.
    Have fun!

7. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.