coating for steel

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by gotwind?, Mar 27, 2007.

1. gotwind?

gotwind? New Member

I am about to refit an old steel hull. What would be the best process for surface treatment and coating of the steel.

Grit blasting and epoxy seam to be my preference but have I missed anything?

2. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

no...

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Grit blasting and epoxy seam to be my preference but have I missed anything?

There are standards for how much blasting "water white" is the goal.

There are also time and temperature / humidity requirements fot the coating system.

IT works , IF you follow the instructions, NO SHORTCUTS , no CHEAPOUTS.

FF

4. gotwind?

gotwind? New Member

Thanks guys. What about internal same story. Grit blast and epoxy. My concern is that the hull is already foamed out down to the waterline internally. The owner says this was done "very well" but he would. I am a bit concerned about what may be lurking under the foam.

5. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

If it's sprayed foam it's stuck to the hull, probably OK! Check continuity of coat! If it's broken then by all means scrape away the area of the broken foan to take a look, if its OK leave it alone (it it's loose foam that's different take all the foam out, check the state of the steel, sand blast/ abrade as required and coat with bitumastic paint - nice and thick! That'll do 'ee.

Trouble with epoxy is that whilst it's good stuff the conditions have to be perfect for proper application - if your outside in dodgy weather think again! Chlorinated rubber is perfect - if you can get it!

6. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

A fellow I know in SE Alaska homebuilt a beautiful 40ft. salmon troller. When he had me onboard to check it out I thought she was a year or two old. Turns out the boat was ten years old.

He had used an industrial coating that is used primarily on bridges & power line towers. It was substantially less expensive than marine epoxy. The condition of his boat testifies to the fact that this coating did a heck of a job.

I may have written the particulars of this coating in my journal. I'll look for it. If you are interested and I cannot find the info, I can try and contact the owner. He lives in a remote outport where phones are rare, but I could probably, with time, get a message to and from him.

Welcome to the forum. Take care.

TGoz

7. witzgall

witzgall Junior Member

Yes, please do find out. I am looking at a steel boat and know nothing about coatings for them..

8. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Simply Google "Sherwin Williams" to find the INDUSTRIAL paint system you can afford.

FF

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.