Volvo Oil Pressure problem

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by crackerjack, Apr 23, 2008.

1. crackerjack

crackerjack Junior Member

just started my volvo 260B engine. don't remember what the oil pressure should be but i'm getting 20lb. when i rev the engine it jumps between 20 and 60 back and forth. anybody with an idea would be helpfull..thanks

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

sounds electronic, from sensor, do you know how to measure the resistance over it?
    or maybe just get another sensor, OR plug in an old style press gauge robbed from old car, and check it out

3. crackerjack

crackerjack Junior Member

no i don't know how to measure the resistance. if you tell me how i would try. would you know the location of the sensor? you don't think it's the oil pump.

4. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

you will see a thing with two wires or sometimes one, screwed into the block, small thread 1/8 bsp or ntp with is about 3/8 inch in thread diametre
    You would need multimeter and the values from a volvo shop manual or dealer, these things are as cheap as chips, just get a new sensor from any auto supply chain, make sure correct voltage, your car will have same too
    oh and if you google up (measuring oil sender/ senser, resistance) you will have a nights light reading

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.