volvo motor /stern drive question

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by tubbymann, Jul 23, 2008.

1. tubbymann

tubbymann New Member

Hi, we are new here and we recently purchased an older Bayliner flybridge with a volvo engine and sterndrive. The motor AQ260B. We recently took it out on the water and could go maybe 10 mph with full throttle. I am sure this is not how it is supposed to be. I believe it is a 250 hp or more... it ran like a tug boat and never hit a speed to plane. Does anyone have any ideas about this? Thanks for any input.

2. tuantom

tuantom Senior Member

We'll certainly need more details than that. How big... how many rpms...prop...etc.

3. tubbymann

tubbymann New Member

The propeller is 15" 17"pitch 3 blades counter clockwise.

I am not sure what the rpms were when it was full throttle.

4. tubbymann

tubbymann New Member

The boat is 28 feet.. the motor I believe is 260 hp... it just tugs along.. and the steering is difficult. Not sure if that goes along with the tugging along.

5. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Could be any one or more of Many Problems. Most likely Engine related. Have a qualified Mechanic take a look at it. Marine mechanic perfered, but if unavailable an auto mechanic could help you. Your Engine is most likely a 350 (5.7) Chevy.

By any chance, is the Boat going forward while the shift lever is in the "Back" position? You indicated Counter clockwise Prop. Not famliar with Volvo, but most outdrives use clockwise Props. You could be in reverse gear to achieve forward motion, which would account for the slow speeds.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  6. tuantom

tuantom Senior Member

The Volvo 280, which is most likely what you have, doesn't have a preferred prop rotation. Have you checked the fluid levels in the outdrive? They have a wet cone clutch that needs stay wet w/ oil.
    check the rpms.

7. tubbymann

tubbymann New Member

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I will check the fluid in the stern drive... also, we are in the forward position when we are running... reverse does drive the boat in reverse.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.