mercruiser gearing

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by ianmac09, Jun 30, 2010.

1. ianmac09

ianmac09 New Member

Hi,
    I just killed my outdrive, upper gears destroyed:mad: . I have a replacement gear and bearing set available cheap but it is the 1.5 to 1 ratio. The engine is a 1991 4.3litre V6 and it has a high 5 prop. I think the stock gearing was 1.68 to 1 but not certain about that. So I was wondering how much the change in gearing will affect the performance, anyone?
    Thanks

2. J3

J3 Junior Member

Since no one else has replied, I know replacement upper units come in 1.81 (for 1.84) 1.62 (for 1.65) and 1.47 (for 1.5). I think a lot of 4.3 v6s were mated with 1.84 gear ratio. I take it yours is a light boat?

For the 1.65 to 1.5 keeping the same prop, if it was perfect before the new would lug the engine a bit. Would this affect how easy/quick it is to get up on plane? Top speed? Hard to say without knowing the particular boat. If it was perfect before, I'd sell and buy a new one on ebay and get what you know works well.

3. ianmac09

ianmac09 New Member

Anyone want a 1.5/1 gear set

Thanks for the reply, I discovered it is a 1.81/1 gear set (17-19) so changing to 1.5-1 is probably going to suck. For info it is a 1991 Campion Allante 175, so yes a fairly light boat. I bought the correct replacement parts online from Basic Power and so will get into fixing it next week, looks like a fun job.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It will overload the engine. The piston will be really hot and may melt a hole. Also the valves may warp or burn.

5. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

With the 1.5 gear your prop will be turning about 500 RPM more, 3000 vrs 2486 @ 4500 motor speed. Assuming your present prop is correct, you will need to drop 3 to 4 in. of pitch with less Dia or the motor will be overloaded.
    If you can work out the Prop the 1.5 ratio should be OK

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.