Volvo 3.0GLP-C excessive exhaust noise

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by DSW, Jul 29, 2008.

1. DSW

DSW New Member

Just boughta used 2005 Glastron boat with a volvo sterndrive. From outside the boat, the exhaust sounds like a car with a bad muffler...you can hear the boat all the way down the inlet. Anyone have any idea what may be causing this and how I can fix it?

2. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Sounds like you may have an Exhaust Leak, perhaps somewhere between Motor and Outdrive?

3. ibelieve

ibelieve New Member

same here

We have two of these boats on our lake and they are by far the loudest boats around. Is there a way to add a muffler or silencer to these?

Thanks,
    Steve

4. Design_1

Design_1 Water Logged Hack

DSW-
    You may be able to buy a set of switchable exhaust for your engine. Also, check to be sure that you don't already have a set of switchable exhausts on your boat and they are set to top side.

Regards,
    Chris

5. ibelieve

ibelieve New Member

These boats do not belong to me but from what I can tell, there is no thru hull exhaust so I am assuming it goes thru the outdrive. I know one of these is a volvo-penta, not sure about the other. There does seem to be some discussion on the net about louder then normal exhaust on the volvo-penta setups.

I was able to install quieter mufflers and silencers on my inboard, making a significant difference in exhaust noise.

/Steve

6. Design_1

I have posed the question to an acquantance of mine. He is a Sr. OEM Engineer for Volvo. I will post his response as soon as he gives it.

Regards,
    Chris

7. Design_1

According to my acquantance, It sounds as though the exhaust bellows are either damaged or not installed correctly. Anyone that may need the diagram can let me know. Not sure if the original poster is still looking for an answer or not.

Regards,
    Chris

8. ibelieve

ibelieve New Member

I am very interested in a solution, as are many other property owners on our lake. I can be reached at "swvogel at yahoo dot com"

Thanks,
    Steve

9. Design_1

Steve-

I emailed you the response that I received from Volvo. Let me know if this helps.

Regards,
    Chris

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.