volvo trim question

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by Chad Exe, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Chad Exe

Chad Exe New Member

I have a 26 foot baja cruiser w twin 4cylininder volvos and volvo single prop outdrives. I ve never owned volvos and the dealer I got it from said that my volvos are desiged to only operate in the fully down position. He said I am not supposed to trim the drives while underway. I find that extremely hard to belive because it wont plane until everyone rushes to the v berth and stays there. And oviously the trim tabs are not desiged to provide that amount of trim. Wide open is 4000 rpm and I would like to trim it out and back off the throttles like normal. Also do I need to get genuine volvo tim swithces at the helm contols or can I use any selfcentering three posistion swith? Thanks EXE

2. Karl2

Karl2 Junior Member

Post some details on the drive and engine. Very possible that this is a 270 or 275 series drive. This drive did not have power trim. It had electrical tilt but that can not used to trim under way.

Karl

1 person likes this.
  3. Chad Exe

Chad Exe New Member

Thank you for the reply Karl2, Yes you are right they areVolvo series 275 w/slant 4cyl. That is pretty dishartening, because at full power I get 4000 rpm and it wont plane w/o lots of wieght in the bow, and the tabs wont hold it if people move to the ext, seating.I suppose I must start experementing w/props? I must replace the actual tilt swiches now as the starboard one just quit. I stay on it all summer so can only reply here at work. Thanks again for reply

4. Karl2

Karl2 Junior Member

It is 15 years since I physically had my eyes on a 275 drive but if I recall the drive legs fixed position can be set in 3 or 4 different positions (Like a low hp, older out board without power trim). Is there not a shaft underneat, towards the transom, that can be moved in different locations ??

Karl

5. Chad Exe

Chad Exe New Member

Thanks again Karl2 for your response, and once again you are correct. I got a snorkel and goggles last night and went for a swim and see the trim pin set up you spoke of and just like the old out boards I put it it in #3. Went for a rip and at least I can back her down to 3700 rpm and maintain plane. She must buck about 20 knots. And I can live with that. You have been a big help! AROCKAROLLA

6. Chad Exe

Chad Exe New Member

Thanks again Karl2, once again your insight has been of much help. Got some gogles and a hose went for a swim, seen the trim pin set up, put them both in # 3. Went for a criuse,was able to back her down to 3700rpm and maintain about a 20 knot cruise that I can live with, I dont think that will hurt the little volvos. Also finally got the tunes kickin properly. Life is trely wonderful.AROCKAROLLA!!!!!!!

7. Karl2

Karl2 Junior Member

The engines will be just fine @ 3700

Karl

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.