Alpha MR Question

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by Kidnotorious, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Kidnotorious

Kidnotorious Junior Member

Does anyone know what psi output the water pump in an alpha MR lower unit is supposed to put out. I completly rebuilt the lower unit, but i'm not getting very much pressure. I was told by a marine mechanic that when the motor is running if i pull the water inlet hose off the thermostat housing and hold it verticaly the water should shoot up about a foot high on idle, all i get is a little overflow even at 1500 rpm's. I've triple checked, the impeller, if it was put in the right direction, i checked for any blockages threw the gimble hose and the foot, i put new impeller and upper and lower housing, still not much pressure.
    Thank you

2. Kidnotorious

Kidnotorious Junior Member

All good guys, I called mercury marine, they didn't have the psi but they say it should pump 1 quart every 15 seconds @ 1000 RPM's. Just incase someone else needs to know. Mine's pumping way more than that @ idle so the shoot up a foot thing must be threw a 3/4'" hose not the 1 1/4" that's there.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.