Sealers Trapped in Ice-Pack

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by timgoz, Apr 21, 2007.

1. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Has anyone heard of the fate of the approx. 100 boats trapped in the pack ice off of N.E. Newfoundland?

TGoz

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

no, but hopefully there may be some justice for the seals
    if the whole world 10 billion people went around clubbing all the worlds wildlife to death, there would be no wildlife --thugs butchers and rednecks this is 2007, we have supermarkets, the days of Fun killing are over.
    And there will be a lot more of these types go on my ignore list

3. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

This thread was started out of concern for the men at sea whose lives are presently in danger.

It was not intended to become a discussion of animal rights & related topics.

To those who wish to voice opinions on the above, I'd ask, please start your own thread(s) to address those issues.

Thank you for your consideration.

TGoz

4. Poida

Poida Senior Member

When you start a thread Timgoz I'm not sure if the laws of this forum allow you to dictate who can contribute to it.

May I suggest you change the title of the thread to "Seal's Revenge"

So far it is Seals 2 Butchers 1

Poida

5. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

Well Tim
    I have no consideration for the lives of seal hunters, this is rather plain to see.
    however I consider myself to be the most humane of men, I have picked freezing homeless from the streets of Moscow, , helped damsels in distress on German Autobahns, but , :sealers" Dolphin killers, sorry Tim, Let their souls perish on the ice
    And thank you for your politeness!!

6. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

Yep, I say if they want to indulge in their distastefull lifestyle, then if they are now suffering, wel it's just an "occupational hazard". Score one for mother nature.

Mychael

7. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I was wondering if this forum would be any more sympathetic towards the hunters/sailors than what I would expect to find in other off-topic forums.

Guess not.

I'm kind of split on this, karma man, karma's going to get you.

1 person likes this.
  8. alan white

alan white Senior Member

If more people had to club their meat to death, less meat would be eaten.
    Supermarkets are responsible for increasing meat consumption, transporting it over large distances and keeping it cold. Stockyard animals, chickens, farmed fish, etc., are raised unnaturally for the express purpose of killing them with high voltage, etc..
    The issue of seals killing is either a wildlife management issue or a subjective judgement of the intelligence and cuteness of the animal, or an argument against the use of clubs. Hams may be as smart, but not as cute as seals.

Loaded issue, apparently. I wonder how the humans are faring up there?

Alan

1 person likes this.
  9. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

As of Friday morning's sit rep (I work in CCG HQ in Ottawa) there were approx. 85 boats still stuck in the ice. 5 or 6 have been abandoned and the crews have been ferried ashore or moved to other boats. The NE winds that have caused the ice to pack into the shore aren't expected to let up till Tue or Wed and it'll take another day or two for the winds to relieve the pressure on the ice. I think we have 6 ships icebreaking and shepherding boats into safe harbours. Two have returned to St. John's for fuel, supplies and crew changes.

I know a few of these guys, sealing isn't their only way of making a living. They also fish and build boats. They're hard working honest people trying to scratch out a living for themselves and their families from the sea. It's a grueling life and these ice conditions just make it worse. Probably 20 or so will loose their boats and have to start again. Many have no insurance. The few I've talked to don't like to seal but they have to out of necessity. If there were no market for the products from this hunt they wouldn't do it. A few use it for sustanance. Whether what they're doing to earn a living is right or wrong I don't know, not for me to decide.

From what I hear, CCG is part of Fisheries and Oceans Canada, there is no shortage of seals on the icepacks. Their burgening population has been implicated as a major factor in the collapse of the cod fishery. Quotas are designed (hopefully the DFO scientists have learned a thing or two) to balance the populations with the available feed stocks. I don't know if it's working or not. But like any other source of protien, fur or oil they'll be exploited for their commercial potential.

1 person likes this.
  10. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

KnottyBuoyz,

Thank you vey much for the sit rep.

After I made the initial post, I called up to Triton, NFLD. to see if my friend might be among those trapped. I had not spoke to him in several years. When I called, his mother answered. Sadly I found out he had died four years ago this May. Quad accident. He was around sixty.

He spent his entire life crabbing, longlining, and lobstering (& yes sealing) and yet died on land. Thats my second Canadian mariner friend to go that way.

Another friend in Nain informs me a young man from the community is among those in the ice.

Please keep us informed of the situation if you can, you have the inside line.

Take care, and once again, thanks.

TGoz

11. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

timgoz sorry,,I hope your friend is ok,,,,doesent it amaze you that simpleminded people suggest going to the grocerys store?there is just too many dumbasses in this world,,,longliner and goody goody ,,put me on your ignore list ,,,,,,,you stupid bas,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

12. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Thanks Longliner.

Finally getting some real nice weather hereabouts. About time!

Gotta get my kayak registered & get out on the water. I can't believe PA requires oar & paddle propelled boats to now have to be registered:(

TGoz

13. longliner45

yes its hard to fathom,,,,the logic of people,,,who cry about some things ,and drive thier big *** to mcdonalds ,to eat helpless cows,,,the stupidity is mind numbing ,,,,your friend will be ok ,,,hes a fisherman,,,,longliner

14. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

I think you misread Longliner. When I called to check on him I found he had died several years back.

The fellow from Nain Labrador is known to another friend who lives there. I do not know if I met him the two summers I visited up there. Very well could have as there are only approx. 1000 people (90% Inuit).

TGoz

15. longliner45

yes I knew your friend died ,,,,,,but the others will go on ,,,,,,longliner,,,also sorry about the other negative posters

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.