vintage motor boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by adriano, Sep 2, 2014.

1. adriano

adriano Senior Member

Hi,
    I was wondering whether anybody has got any data/drawings about this boat from the 30'-40s'?
    I would appreciate any help.
    Thanks
    Adriano:)

Attached Files:

2. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Adriano,

I have no idea. Sleek looking boat but I have to question the time period. Looks later than that.

3. d1970

d1970 Junior Member

Agreed, it looks more modern.

4. adriano

adriano Senior Member

Well... definitely she looks like she has been refitted by cold molding, nevertheless she must be from the pre II.world war period. If she had a plumb bow then she would have been designed during the beginning of last century. She is now an evolution from that era.
    She has got a funny shaped aft/transom?! It would be interesting to look at the design. Hope the actual owner has chances to visit this forum!?
    Adriano

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I don't think she's old at all, but an "in the tradition" style of design. I'm also not convinced she's molded.

6. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

It's not an old boat.....it's a new boat trying to look old....commonly called "retro" in this country. The hull parts we can see did not exist before 1960, the stern is something else. Perhaps it did not work out, thus she's living in a shed?

7. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Yes, looks like a take-off of a single step slipper stern Gold Cup or Harmsworth Throphy racers...but I can't shake the feeling of some Italian MAS infuence

8. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

9. adriano

adriano Senior Member

Bakdeck cruiser

Hi again,
    Does anybody know whether building plans of such type vintage motor boat are available somewhere?
    Looking approx. 7-10 mt. length with that raised foredeck, Good example as per attached picture.
    I appreciate any suggestions.

Attached Files:

10. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

You need to define use too. Atkin boat plans has such motor cruisers. Some here will point out that the plans are indeed old, this affects both the hull shape and constructipn choices.

11. PAR

John Atkins last commissioned yacht was 1960. Billy's was well before, naturally.

12. adriano

adriano Senior Member

bakdekkruiser

Hi Kerosene, Paul,
    I did check with Aktin's and Billy's but couldn't find exactly what I am looking for.
    That particular shape (high raised foredeck) seems to be rather a Dutch heritage!? May be I should look for plans in Holland!?
    Thanks

13. PAR

Adriano, the hull pictured is clearly a modern set of shapes, with stylized topsides and deck. Reproducing it wouldn't be difficult, but this would be a semi custom or full up custom design. The styling aspects would be secondary to the designer's tasks. Several manufactures have employed the raised or flush deck arrangement and it's one I use in many of my designs, partly because of the strength it can impart on the structure.

14. adriano

adriano Senior Member

Thanks Paul,
    I was thinking about that. I'll get back to you through mail as soon I clarified some issues with friends to go ahead with such a project.
    It may take still few weeks time.
    Rgds
    Adriano

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.