Vintage Jon Boat Plan Help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by blaek, May 14, 2011.

1. blaek

blaek New Member

I was thinking of making this jon boat and shortened it to 10ft. Will I need to change the other dimensions as well, and if so any suggestions? Also want to use a butt block to join two pieces of plywood to leanth, any suggestions there? Thanks , here is the link

http://www.vintageprojects.com/boats/jon-boat-plans-build.html

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Butt blocks are fine. Are you limited to the 10ft length. Otherwise, the difference in weight is minimal and it will handle better. On that jon boat, you should be able to reduce everything by 20% without major problems. It will be narrower and less stable.

3. blaek

blaek New Member

Thanks, and this will be my first boat attempt. This plan does not call for epoxy or fiberglass which is fine with me i just hope it works.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Do yourself a big favor and don't reduce it's beam. You'll improve it's stability considerably as a 10' boat this way. In fact just reduce the length, leave everything else the same, for best results.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.