Viking ship - lost - and found ?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Bergalia, Sep 10, 2007.

1. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Ah Bergalia you read it then? that old English was hard work you know, especially using a quill (the budgie kept running away every time I needed a new one)!

2. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Anyone have any news of the famous Meols viking ship??

Did I tell you about the time.................. :)

3. safewalrus

Still out raiding I guess!!

4. Tim Baldock

Tim Baldock Junior Member

Meols Viking Boat

Still there apparently, hasn't moved an inch by all accounts, although as we speak there is a sodding great skip parked on top of it as the pub is currently doing a massive internal refurbishment.It better not be damaged or heads will roll.
    Rich, I will send you an attachment which gives a detailed update on the boat but will do it via your personal email, as some of the natives got a bit restless last time we got talking !
    Tim

5. safewalrus

Don't understand what your on about Tim, us restless, as if!!

Is that a boat shaped skip? good place for it don't you think? ironic really? Go on talk about it - it was so much fun last time!!

6. Tim Baldock

Meols Viking Boat

Well only if you insist ........we arranged for a second set of scans to be done because the first set only showed the bow or stern of the 'boat-shaped anomaly ' and did not capture the other end. (It just seemed to go on.) So the guy with the gear (more on him shortly) did a longer scan but it was not conclusive in that it seemed to suggest that the boat was bigger than we thought or that there were parts of other boats down there with it.We may even have an old boatyard full of Viking boats, what d'ye think about that ?
    The project is now in the hands of some experts at Nottingham University but don't forget folks its all down to good old fashioned bobbying....sticking your nose into where its not wanted!
    The 'guy with the gear' is a Malcolm Weale from Norfolk who has his one man band of a company called Geofizz (its all on the Internet). If you happened to watch the BBC news last night , there was a report on the discovery of a mass WWI grave of British and Australian soldiers in Northern France....he's the guy who found it. Regrettably he has been seriously ill for some months and has had to stop doing any site work, and just concentrate on flogging his hitec pieces of wizardry. He has some interesting yarns about dodgy people in the Congo wanting to employ him to find some of the King of Belgian's treasure that lies buried near to his old holiday retreat in the jungle or similar type people from Papua New Guinea wanting him to find gold bars encased in concrete blocks that were left by the retreating Japs in WW2. I wouldn't want to cross any of that shower , or you'll end up on their dinner table!
    Tim

7. safewalrus

But Tim ain't that what Bobbies do - cross people (not end up on their dinner table)!!

If it is a full fleet ain't about time the whole car park were dug up - after all you polis lot won't let anybugger drink and drive anymore so what use is a pub car park (escept to hide police cars of course??)

8. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Tim, where are we upto with the Viking ship? !!

9. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

By the look of it nobody's doing anything with it. Probably waiting for funding.

10. Tim Baldock

Hello sailor!

Well shiver me timbers Richard ol' son, I thought you had been sent to Davy Jones' locker....I had been expecting a knock at the front door from you these past couple of years!
    I have sent several emails to you of the jokey sort but they have always been rejected by you so I assumed that you didn't want to talk. If you send me your current email address I will give you an update......I wouldn't want to be thought of as us both droning on again in front of that shower of undesirables that you mix with.
    Cheers and beers , Tim.

11. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Hi Tim, I haven't knowingly rejected any emails (and haven't received any either), must be the computer doing its own thing. Will PM you, meanwhile where be the Viking boat?

12. Tim Baldock

A brief answerr.....the Prof got into, I think, serious trouble over his ranting and raving about other academics knowing of the story of the boat but having done nothing about it and why did it have to be 'plod' tio unearth the story when they knew about it all along. Consequently he has had to lie low for 18 months and pursue other areas of Viking Wirral (mainly DNA testing). He says that there is funding available but he has to get the consensus of the other academics who are basically saying that as there is no danger to the boat where it is, then it should be left well alone.Not even a chance of digging up a sample at the moment it seems but I will be in touch with him in a couple of months as he is our only chance and I know that he wants to do something about it, hopefully before we all go to Valhalla.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.