Viking ship - lost - and found ?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Bergalia, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Viking Ship - lost - and found

A gravely misunderstood man, our Cnut. Not even a king - more of a chieftain, but like the mis-naming of 'Marie celeste' when she was in fact 'Mary Celeste', his elevation has passed into common useage - as has the mistaken belief' that he actually attempted to turn back the tide.
    A closer study of history - Bede for instance, suggests he was merely slapping the more sychophantic of his 'followers' into their place by showing he was a mere mortal - and did NOT possess the supernatural powers they wished to have invested in him. That even he, the great Cnut could NOT turn back the tide - and gave them a practical demonstration to prove his point.

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Turning back the tide is impossible what fool would try that. Once while running short of time whilst anti fouling I had a little go myself. I have to say that even with all my connections it was impossible.

If I cant do it what chance have you mere mortals got.

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Moses could!

4. safewalrus

Spookie indeed Tim I threw that comment (about some cnut telling the water to go away as a casual comment MMMmmmmm!)

Bergalia, We all knew THAT! but he did prove his point, and got his name into the history books (if for the wrong reason) which is more than our last Prime Minister will -wot was 'is name Blur or something!

5. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Viking Ship - lost - and found

I thought it was Gladstone...Bloke with a bag... Bliar only had Cherie...Oh, I see what you mean....:)

6. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Tim, I sent you a PM, not sure if you got it. Fancy a pint tonight or tuesday at the Railway - am passing thru the UK and came to see my mother. Either pm me again or post here. Maybe tues would be better? Wednesday onwards I am unavailable

Ciao
    Richard

7. Tim Baldock

Tim Baldock Junior Member

Hi Rich, didn't get your message, I am free Tuesday ....howsabout 9pm at the Raillway? Will anyone else be with you?
    Tim

8. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Pint

Ok Tim, see you tomorrow at 9pm. I´ll be alone unless you particularly want to meet my 74 year old mother. :)

9. Tim Baldock

See you then Rich.Please understand that the Railway's heyday as a real pub went eons ago.Despite me and the rest of our small team now making it a site of international archaeological importance (sounds good doesn't it?) it really needs a massive shakeup but more about that when we meet.I will be standing inside at the bar by the main entrance.
    Tim

10. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Hmmmm, apparently the Vikings were able to navigate through time as well as over the seas. Good skills to land the boat at a site at which, far in the future, a pub would exist ..... :) :)

11. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

I don't know if LIA obliged to changes in boats design, but it it is for sure that "viticulture entirely disappeared from some northern regions". Perhaps now with a warming climate they will go into viticulture again. Too bad for us, med regions! ;)
    Cheers.

12. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Guillermo,

Never one to stop looking, I followed various links to this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_European_maritime_culture

One excerpt under the Cod Fishing Fleets heading:

"Scandinavian shipbuilding technology failed to advance beyond that of the Viking days. The traditional Viking ships performed quite well in the relatively tranquil summer seas of the medieval warm period, but the stormier climates rendered these vessels particularly dangerous to the point of obsolescence. Viking technology spread earlier throughout Europe, and craftsmen along the Atlantic seaboard of western Europe began to develop ships capable of withstanding heavy seas and the gales that struck commonly even during mid-summer. Rarely did a medieval mariner without a death wish dare to venture beyond easy sight of port during the long winter season."

Cogs, Hulcs, Caravels and Carracks led to Galleons.

This excerpt is definitive:

"The cooling climate and increasing storminess, however, led to a sharp increase in the proportion of traditional Norse-style boats that left port never to return. These casualties at sea led shipbuilders to develop a stronger boat that could ply the Dogger Bank and return full of fish with some reliability. Boat builders, especially prominent in Dutch ports and Basque seaside towns, however, prospered as they provided new vessels to budding mariners or to replace those wrecked or lost at sea. These new ships proved adequately seaworthy for the expectations of the era.

Declining fishing stocks and frequent tax evasion led the Hansa cabal to close the fisheries near Bergen off the Norwegian coast in 1410. English fishermen responded by taking their craft to the closed Icelandic colony and trading and fishing there in 1412. Besides several local fishing boats, very few if any ships had visited Iceland in several decades. English ships, however, began to set sail for Iceland early each spring through the frigid gales and freezing spray to trade and fish just as their Danish predecessors did centuries earlier. Each dogger that successfully returned to Britain in the autumn carried roughly 30 tons of fish. Although the Danish masters of Iceland convinced King Henry V of England to forbid the Icelandic cod trade, English fleets continued to visit the otherwise isolated island. The Hanseatic League copied the shipbuilding technologies of their English rivals and began to reassert Scandinavian sovereignty over Iceland. This struggle led to piracy and pillaging on the high seas and ultimately to the development of modern naval warfare."

What else is new? :D

Regards,

Pericles

1 person likes this.
  13. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Very interesting post, Perry, thanks.

14. safewalrus

Pericles, wasn't that from a paper of a couple of years ago? the Sun probably, as you say what else is new, beggers the old saying "there's nothing new under the sun" don't it!

15. Tim Baldock

Yes I second that , nice one Pericles!

Safewalrus, I'm just off for a bevvy with RHP if you're interested? The fellah who did the scanning of our boat with his ground penetrating radar may also be making a guest appearance as he has been going up and down the River Mersey these last couple of days on a private hovercraft at low and high tides, looking for a Spitfire that crashed there during the war.I dunno its all happening in Meols again, does anything else go on out there? Is anything else worth mentioning?
    Answers to be kept to a modicum of respectability please gents as I do have that knack of upsetting people! (goes with the job)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.