Viking ship - lost - and found ?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Bergalia, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Berg,
    Could it be that this supposed viking ship, is instead a Celtic Galley, so being the first Celtic Galley to be discovered...?.
    See: http://www.galley.freeuk.com/

2. Guillermo

Oh, yes! I can see you playing....! :)
    (Almost no trees in that golf course)

3. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Viking Ship - lost - and found

Lovely page find Guillermo. But I doubt it is the remains of a birlinn. The 'Lord' of the Isles and his crew tended to concentrate on looting and claiming the Hebrides - whereas the Vikings tended to travel south pillaging the 'weaker' (and lets face it - richer) English settlements.

One tale - if I can digress, concerning the use of birlinns was of the race between MacDonald and Campbell seeking the assert their 'ownership' of Tiree - one of the small Hebridean islands. MacDonald and Campbell agreed that they should race to the island and the first man to lay hand on the shore would have 'lordship' over its people.
    After many hours of neck to neck rowing the two birlinns approached the shore and at the last moment - only metres from the shore the Campbell boat drew ahead. At that MacDonald drew his sword and hacked off one of the rowers hands and hurled it to the shore...And in this way (the first to lay hand on the shore) won the race. Which is why MacDonald of the Isles has a red hand on his banner.

4. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Viking Ship - lost - and found

Not being a golf fan Richard (we Scots of course invented the game to keep the English occupied) but I must point out, more correctly it is 'The Open'...other countries have The American open; The German Open; The Tibetan Open' etc...but in the UK it is THE OPEN... :)

5. Guillermo

Hey, Richard! Is this your Pub? ;)

Attached Files:

6. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

A Viking ship, under a pub? What a beautiful way to go. :D

7. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Hi guys,

Guillermo, there are no trees on the course because its a links laying on sand and the wind comes in off the sea. Its not a course for softies...

Yes thats the pub, it was built as a hotel but there´s little passing trade these days so its now a pub/restuarant, goodness knows what they do with the upper floors. Its a magnificent building.

Bergalia, I know that mate, but this is an international forum so one has to assume the others don´t.... :)

Richard

8. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

I note the McDonald had been taught by the English, a true Scot would have hacked off his own hand, a lot more romantic but it makes picking your nose a wee bit harder!

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I did'nt know they buried Vikings under pub car parks? I could be wrong but in the movie with Sparticus playing the leading role in 'The Vikings'--- the Viking funeral was to set the boat on fire with burning arrows as it drifted away from the dock.

A cruel trick but good for a laugh was to ask the widow (or anyone with inheritance interests) to go on board and stow the docking lines once away from the dock.

10. safewalrus

Ahh Frosty you've spotted the trick eh! An even better idea is to ask her to do it for a trial run before you even die, to make sure she gets it right on the big day (obviously you need to set fire to the ship for a proper rehersal!)

11. Tim Baldock

Tim Baldock Junior Member

Viking Boat

Hi Richard,
    I have never used a forum so I hope this gets to you! ( I am a dinosaur). However I am the local bobby who came across the viking boat story and worked on it with Prof Harding to get where we are now.I was born and raised in Meols and lived on the promenade for most of my youth at 146 Meols Parade. Who are you exactly and where and when did you live in Meols?
    Tim Baldock

12. safewalrus

RRichard don't answer, he'll probaly pin three murders and a robber on you before you finish!

I alwas thought Meols was the sound a hungry kitten made, or is it a polis trying to close a case?

13. Tim Baldock

Tim Baldock Junior Member

Richard,
    You're not answering me, don't be shy, I am a true Meolsonian born and bred! There is not a lot who can say that !

14. safewalrus

Or would want to!

I don't really think you've got the hang of this nice stuff yet have you Tim? Surely your training would tell you that people don't always answer to a direct question from someone is is sopposedly an officer of the law! We all have skelatons in the cupboard - some real some not!

Or are you a walt? or journo?

15. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Viking ship - lost - and found

Ah mushyour Wall-roos - ahm not shoor ze Tim 'flic' az red ze Le Carre. If ee 'ad ee woud noe zat ze Meol remanes - under ze cuvver...ness pa ?:(

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.