Firefox & IE

Discussion in 'General Computing' started by Mychael, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

Hopefully this will be an easy fix for someone with more knowledable then me.

I downloaded and have been useing Mozilla Firefox as my prefered browser. Too many glitches with IE 6 (6 or 7).

I have set up firefox as my prefferred/default browser, it automatically checks this at every boot up.

However if I click on a link that someone has posted in the forums that link will be opened by IE and not Firefox. I've tried right clicking to get an "open with " option but that does not appear.
    I've been into control panel/Set program access defaults/custom setting/use my current web browser. But still get IE starting from links.
    Interestingly in that control panel setting it showed Opera and IE but not Firefox as a choice.

Any suggestions??

Mychael

2. diverdon56

diverdon56 New Member

I also use fire fox. Try this

Put the curser on the link

right mouse click

then select open in new tab from the pop up menu

3. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

I've made a bit of a discovery. If I manually load Firefox then go to Boat Forums any subsequent links I open from the forums will also be in Firefox. Right clicking does not give me an "open with" option.
    However I often go to the forums direct from link I get sent to my e-mail to tell me there is a new posting.
    My e-mail first go through "mailwasher" an e-mail filter and sometimes I will just click on the link direct from the e-mail.That way it will always open IE and not give me an option to "open with" even if I right click it. Once into the forums via IE all links go to another IE, I cannot get an option.
    If I forward the e-mail on to my full e-mail program (outlook Express) again the links will only open IE not Firefox.
    So perhaps my question should be "why can't I get links from e-mail to open with Firefox" ?

Mychael

4. diverdon56

diverdon56 New Member

you have to move the curser to the link then right click and the menu comes up.

5. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

Yep, do that but from the options I get there is not an "open with" option in the choices.

Mychael

6. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi Mychael,
    (1) Are you using Firefox 2.0.0.3? You should be. Try reinstalling the 'Fox and make sure you are logged in as an administrator when you do.
    For some reason, Firefox often doesn't show in "set program access and defaults", don't worry, so long as you make sure IE doesn't set itself back to default then Firefox should keep that job.
    (2) Shot in the dark here.... are the appropriate registry entries intact?
    In HKLM\software\mozilla\ there should be a couple of folders for Firefox regkeys and regvalues, perhaps one of the "PathToExe" or "program folder path" keys points to the wrong spot? If you were to reinstall it should correct any errors here.
    (3) Some programs, and I'm not sure if your mail program is one of them, will just use \Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe to open any web link, regardless of your preferences. The Microsoft instant message clients are notorious for this flaw. Outlook Express may have the same problem. (It's also very virus-prone.) Switching to Mozilla Thunderbird for email would probably resolve the issue permanently (and you would not lose any archived emails or contact lists).

7. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Check the following settings

Edit -> Preferences -> Downloads

Edit -> Preferences -> Tabs

Internet explorer shouldn't appear anywhere.

Hope this helps,

Tim B.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.