Cobalt

Discussion in 'Software' started by nemo, Mar 6, 2003.

1. nemo

nemo Naval Architect

Does anyone of you know Ashlar Vellum Cobalt? It's a Parametric Solid, but also freeform modeller. I've been told it would be ideal for naval designer. Compared to other solid modellers, such as SolidWorks, it allows a better managing of freeform surfaces, even if there's SurfaceWorks, an add-in for solidworks, but that's not a definitive solution.

http://www.ashlar.com

2. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

nope.. but then I did not even underdstand the description:

"powerfully integrates advanced parametric free-form Wireframe, organic Class-A NURBS Surfacing, and advanced ACIS feature-based Solid modeling. "

WHAT???

Going to check for demo download to see if the product is as complex as the PR!!......................

Got it! A mere 84 mb. Start download . go to bed!

g'night!

Paul

3. nemo

nemo Naval Architect

A solid modeller is slightly different from what you're used to think about CAD, you start from a sketch, the you use dimensions to get the exact geometry you want, then you can create solids from the sketch. Its power is in the flexibility: you change a dimension, and all the model changes with respect of the relations you gave. All the "operations" you make on the solids are called "features" and they're visible on a feature manager tree. NURBS surfaces are the ones you can Handle even in Rhino.
    Stefano

4. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

Thanks Stefano!
    I'll give it a go later. I got the NURBs surface bit but even reading the site was not sure what the rest was about.
    Did you download the demo?

5. nemo

nemo Naval Architect

Yes I downloaded the demo but still didn't have the time to try it.. I know it's not as intuitive as Rhino..
    stefano

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.