Video: Builidng a Recyclable Sailboat

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Skyak, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS0A0vd5UMM

I am all for recycling but this just strikes me as 'the easy part' -building.

Before I will have respect for this I need to see the boat actually be recycled into useful products.

The questions in my mind -what is the process to reuse the material? They say it will be possible to use the plastic without separating from the fiber -but that implies that the boat will need to be ground up in a very specific way to maintain consistent fiber length. What about the foam core? What about the paint?

I find it fitting that the test boat is a racer that is likely to be obsolete in a year or two.

2. JakubT

JakubT Junior Member

Marketing...

The only truly recyclable material in boatbuilding is metal,
    the rest is bait for customers.

3. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

wood is recycled naturally, but gets more complicated if you add epoxy or paint. There is a trade off between longevity and easy of recycling. Didn't some of the early Folkboats get some sort of pine-tar treatment. I wonder how much forest is required to keep recycling the wood for a folkboat every 30 years or so, longer for the frames. Maybe less than we might thing. I'm guessing you might maintain a fleet of a dozen with an acre. Not sure.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.