Freedom 44 Hull Lines

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by pagliaso, Jan 17, 2013.

1. pagliaso

pagliaso Junior Member

Hi,

I think this is my first post, but I've been following this wonderful forum for years.
    Well, I hope I have posted to the right category. I didn't know very well to what category should I send my post.

My question is if someone has any clue of where could I get a lines plan for the Freedom 44: a magazine, a book written by Garry, some museum like Mystic that keeps plans registry, .....?

Any info on this would be much appreciated. And I want the lines to build, out of wood, a small half-model from waterlines to give to the Owner of one of these boats as a present. The boat is in another country of course, if not I would measure directly the hull.

Many Thanks in advance for any reply on the subject and Kind Regards from Spain

2. Moggy

Moggy Senior Member

I think that the Freedom 44 was a production boat, that means that you are very unlikely to find plans available in the public domain.

Sorry.

2c

3. Moggy

Moggy Senior Member

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'm sure Hoyt will sell you a set of lines, if not the whole plans set. The plans were developed in the late 1970's, so they've made enough to consider these "stock" files now. As to getting some for free, well good luck with that . . .

5. pagliaso

pagliaso Junior Member

Many Thanks for your responses.

Moggy, they are very good value for the impressive boats they are. Please note that I only want to build a half wood varnished model, 45 cm long to hang up a wall.

PAR, could you kindly suggest the best way to contact Mr. Hoyt? Preferably written please, I don't think I am prepared to keep a decent conversation at the moment, with my level of English, with such an ace of the yachting scenario.

6. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

7. PAR

Thanks David, though the first question out of Hoyt's mouth will be why do you want the lines If you don't have a reasonable answer, you're not going to get much.

8. Moggy

Moggy Senior Member

Sounds like an OK reason to get a basic set of lines to me! :D

9. PAR

My apologies, I didn't see that line. Thanks for the catch Moggy . . .

10. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

There never were any lines drawn for the Freedom 44. The F44 was created by doing a fair extension of the stern of the Freedom 40. I know this because I was Chief Engineer at Tillotson-Pearson, builders of the Freedoms, at the time this was done and I saw it going together. Even though I was the naval architect for the firm, I had no direct involvement in this project. Garry Hoyt and Everett Pearson (owner of TPI) decided that they wanted to build the F44. So they had one of their foremen, Herculano Oliveira, do the necessary "plug boat" by modifying a Freedom 40 hull. From that plug, a hull mold was made. Same situation for the deck and deck mold. For the rudder, they used an Alden 44 rudder (TPI also built all the Alden yachts at the time) and for the keel, they used the J36 keel. Cobble them all together, and you have the Freedom 44. Interestingly, despite this piecemeal beginning, the F44 was one of Freedom's most successful models. It sold well and sailed well.

The lines of the Freedom 40 no longer exist, or they could be lost in a file cabinet somewhere. I tried searching for them a few years ago when I did a new interior design for a client's Freedom 40, one that was built shortly after I started at TPI. I called Garry Hoyt to see if he had any record of the lines, and he said he did not and did not know where they were. Freedoms Yachts the company was eventually sold to Paul Pertonello, and he acquired what engineering and design records there were. But Freedom went out of business long ago, and those paper records are with Petronello, or they have been destroyed. There is no access to the Freedom records, as far as I am aware.

Eric

11. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Here are the crude lines for the Freedom 40, first published about 1976.....

LOA = 40'
    LWL = 35'
    Beam = 12'0"
    Draft = 3'4" - 6'6" board down
    Displacement 20,000 pounds
    Ballast 6200 pounds
    sail area 784 sq ft.

Freedom40lines.jpg

12. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Thanks Tad!

I recall a moment when I was at TPI, I had just started, and I saw a picture of the lines for the Freedom 40. Although the design has been attribbuted to Halsey Herreshoff, I believe it was his father Sidney deWolf Herreshoff that actually penned the lines--his signature was on the plan.

Tad, where did you scrounge this up?

Eric

13. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

That lines drawing is part of a Perry review done in 1976, Sailing Magazine.....some ham-handed art department person decided to "harden up" the lines......

I have no info on the ins and outs of the Herreshoff clan.....All the published stuff credits Halsey, as does Gary in his writeup in December Yachting of 1976. Gary and Halsey did the Caribbean 50 before the Freedom project, another nice boat but too small for her length....

14. Timothy

Timothy Senior Member

Only Hoyt's prototype Freedom 40 had a draft of 3'4". The production models where changed by TP to accommodate an engine and the draft was increased to 4'3" board up and 9' board down. I read somewhere that Hoyt was not happy about it.

15. pagliaso

pagliaso Junior Member

Hi,

Many thanks to you all for these useful replies. I couldn't be following the thread these days and was very glad to see all new posts.

David, thank you for the link to Garry's postal address, although considering what Eric says, I don't know if it will worth to contact him?

Eric, many thanks for all the information about the F44 different parts and their procedence. That it is most useful!

Tad, thank you for that!! My father was recalling seeing lines for a big Freedom in certain American magazine, but he couldn't remember exactly where, and with 60+ years or several magazines randomly dispersed in a small office, I could't find them. Good old years when the design reviews included lines...

I have got a basic profile for the Freedom 44 from an old announce or article, that we got years ago, when we were going to haul this boat out of the water on our old slipway, and with all these pieces of information, I think I can start planning the 1/2 model. But always, any more info will be much appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.