Vessels Sink

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by SamSam, Mar 5, 2014.

1. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

We had a boat that sunk at the dock here.

And then another one sunk at the dock.

And another one also.

I have no video or photos, although they do exist.

The first was the sheriffs personal 55' shrimp boat. It sank from poor maintenance/negligence and then sat there for almost a year with just the outriggers and a corner of the cabin roof sticking out at low tide, a permanent oil slick spreading from it meanwhile as the fuel tanks and engine oil floated out. In some states the DNR is onto something like that like crabs on a carcass, but not here.

The second one was an old smaller size gambling boat that was expelled from a Savannah marina over fears it might sink at the dock. It was towed here at 2 in the morning and parked at the city docks during high tide. When the tide went out the boat was impaled on the rocks and old pilings and never rose again. A city councilman admitted to reporters he gave permission for the boat to dock there, but a few hours later the council had circled the wagons and declared a councilman cannot speak for the council and indeed the councilman himself claimed that he misspoke or was misunderstood or something and that he emphatically had not given any such permission. The boat and it's owner were from another state, which renders them legally untouchable here. After all was said and done, the local taxpayers paid for the cleanup, while all the councilmen now have their very own slot machines.

The third incident actually involved 3 shrimp boats. The docks are crowded for big commercial boats like shrimpers, so they will raft up at the docks, 2 and 3 deep. The first boat had been doing some welding and apparently sparks had fallen into a second boat, owned by a good friend. Late at night, smoldering sparks started the second boat on fire and then the fire spread back to the first boat. In attempting to pull the two burning boats away from the dock, the outriggers got tangled up with a third boat, owned by the brother of the first boats owner, and that boat was pulled over and capsized. All the boats were older, uninsured, and were a total loss. Everybody lost everything, including their livelihoods. Nobody got mad or sued anyone, it was just one of those things, what can you do, **** happens. One was towed into a dead end creek where it was abandoned and eventually sank, you can see it from the interstate if you drive by here.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I was just Google Earthing down I 95 looking for the creek with the sunken boat when I found an airplane parked on the chevrons of a rest area. Is that a common thing in Georgia?

Attached Files:

3. hoytedow

I did not find the boat.

4. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

here ya go Hoyt,check the dates on the imagery:

Posted: Oct 29, 2012 3:24 PM PDT Updated: Nov 25, 2012 7:16 PM PST

The Georgia State Patrol says an airplane made an emergency landing on Interstate 95 just south of McIntosh County just before 12 p.m. Monday.

The plane was towed to a weigh station in the county so the pilot John Wright of Alabama could get the aircraft checked and resume his flight.

Wright was not hurt in the incident, and no vehicles on the highway were damaged.

http://www.wtoc.com/story/19947043/airplane-lands-on-interstate-95-near-mcintosh-county

5. hoytedow

6. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

It's right at the top of that question mark shaped part of the creek.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=31.389921,-81.448088&spn=0.005578,0.009645&t=h&z=17

At the bridge there, a few years ago a semi driver fell asleep while driving and spread a whole load of watermelons all over the freeway.

The airplane is not normal, but it's not too surprising.

It seems to be a strange stretch of road. 15-20 years ago another semi driver wouldn't pull over for the state police. After a long chase from the Florida line, the tires were all shot out and there were tons of cop cars involved, from multiple counties and cities. One of our local deputies picked up his brother (not a cop) and they pulled up alongside the semi and the brother shot the truck all up. When the truck finally stopped, by the weigh station where the airplane was, the two ran up and pulled the passenger out and stomped the **** out of him, in the excitement apparently forgetting the deputies car had a working dash cam. It turned out the driver was some kind of nuts on drugs, but the passenger was some innocent hitchhiker who'd got in just before the driver went crazy, and the beating wasn't really needed because he had already been mortally wounded by the deputies brother and he died a few minutes later. Nobody was prosecuted, apparently there is a legal term meaning an 'unfortunate incident', which is what it was all deemed. **** happens, people die, oh well.

A few miles south of the boat location, we were driving home one time and there was a human leg laying on the side of the road, with a red sneaker still on it.

7. hoytedow

I see it now. Thanks.

8. djaus

djaus Salted Nut!

Well I guess I topped you then hey samsam!
    I have video!!!

Please refrain from being a negative nelly when replying to others. There's too much of that around on public forums.

9. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

And you should inform people that on your video nothing happens for 10 minutes.

I see you managed to take an episode of nautical neglect and use it as a vehicle to rag on a bunch of kids. Is that an example of being a positive Polly?

10. djaus

djaus Salted Nut!

Well police are still investigating that but I wouldn't put it past some of the youths in this town. Drop the tit for tat crap, it's gettin' old!

11. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

The Finger of Blame.............

Maybe the youths were involved in a desperate struggle to keep the boat afloat, sourcing timber etc from where ever possible......
    When they realised the chips were down & lacked the resources to save the vessel they decamped the scene.... as being familiar with the finger of blame casting its shadow across their existence.........

12. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

LOL Ahh quit spreading negativity all over the earth, would ja? Here's your sign

[​IMG]

LOL OK, that's all, Ill try and quit.

Love your video.

OK, I'm done now, pretty sure of it.

13. Upwey

Upwey New Member

Greetings from Arizona djaus, This 12m vessel "Bass Rover" is for sale - I am interested in this one. Can you give me any details that you may have? mark@upwey.net
    VBR
    Mark

14. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I know that exit on 95 well. It's the spot where I let the dogs out to pee, when I'm heading north. That McDonald's parking lot has a lot of poop on their western lawn.

Mark, you might consider starting a new thread about your boat interests.

15. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

They just remodeled the McD, maybe they cleaned up the lawn.

This is an odd thread and I can't figure out why I started it. There seems to be parts missing. I'll search djaus posts in that time frame and see if he posted something that got me started.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.