MOB, how to get back in boat easier

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by sdowney717, Jan 29, 2016.

1. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

Say you fall over, your weak, cold, old, slipped and got hurt, somewhat incapacitated, maybe no one is around, etc..

I am thinking of how to get back into the boat.

How about a floating cargo net, has a float line on the edge trailed behind the swim platform. Maybe even a plastic sealed PVC pipe extension tied on the edges to keep it from going under the boat. And pool noodles on the outer back edge to keep it floating. Or pool noodles all the way round the periphery of the net instead of pipes.
    Should be easy if swimming to roll yourself onto it, then clamber up on the swim platform.
    Such a net should have a small enough weave so you do not get caught in it but big enough weave to grab with hands and feet.

I think even a small net 3 by 5 feet would work

Another idea is a rectangle of glued 3 to 5 inch PVC pipe, (straights and elbows) and a small cargo net lashed to the pipe. Secure long end of rectangle to swim platform, other end floats on the water. easy to crawl into and pipe floatation buoys you up as you crawl back on boat.

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Or just die hard.

If you are so "weak, cold, old, slipped and got hurt, somewhat incapacitated, maybe no one is around" your chances to get back on board are very small, with or without the net. IMO.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A flip down ladder on the swim platform seems a wee bit easier to use, stow and deploy.

4. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

I do have a ladder, real strong one with a brace that attaches to the lower underwater hull. the top is curved back down 180* and locks into brackets on the swim platform. This prevents it from going horizontal being locked in the vertical position
    It has to be setup before you go in the water. I forget but it is either 3 or 4 steps. Has a double row of SS tubing, so 4 welded tubes holding each corner of the teak steps.

I am thinking of ways someone could easily make their own device to get back into a boat easily.
    I can not just easily hoist myself out of the water onto the swim platform sitting 6 or 8 inches above the water.
    I think I tried and failed. I used to have the trim tabs installed with my feet I could push up and get back in. sharp edge there might cut yourself.

5. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

How big is your boat? Is it possible to see a picture of it?

I am asking because if your swim platform is big enough to accomodate something like this:
    http://www.besenzoni.it/product/si-407-aquarius-2/?lang=en
    or this:
    http://www.besenzoni.it/product/sp-601-2/?lang=en
    that could be one off-the-shelf solution. It is a hydraulically-operated ladder which can lift you up from the sea, and is deep enough to put your feet comfortably on it.

If your boat is too small to install a similar ladder, then you should consider changing the boat for a one specifically designed for your particular needs.

Cheers

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A cargo net is a bad idea. Most likely you'll get tangled up and drown.

7. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

I don't think I understand the issue.

If you fall overboard underway and single handed, you're probably stuffed, and relying on your PLB or similar.

(You might trail something floaty I suppose, but if the boat is at any speed, you'll likely miss grabbing it if it is a short thing like a net; If it is long like a floaty rope, even if you did manage to grab it, I don't fancy your chances of hauling yourself back along the rope during your Nantucket sleighride, especially if you are infirm.)

If there's others on board who just don't notice, they will (hopefully) turn round eventually and look for you, and help haul you back aboard if they find you.

If you're moored or at anchor, and have gone swimming, then deploying a swimming ladder is surely the answer?

A net is going to be a pain to deploy and use, compared with a ladder. If it is buoyant enough to help you out of the water, then its going to need to be climbed over when floating out of the water, much as the edge of the swimming platform?

What about a swimming platform that sits 6 to 8 inches below the waterline?

8. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

My idea of falling overboard is when at anchor. I assume underway someone might notice and then of course if you're alone and underway that is much more hopeless.
    Those ladders at besenzoni are quite amazing, no way will that work for the boat.
    Cargo nets the openings could be so big a limb could get tangled. I am thinking one with smaller holes, mayber 2 by 2 or 3 by 3 inch.
    Idea is having a floating rectangular ring will spread the net and give buoyancy, like creating a ramp. One side securely attached to swim platform, other end floats in the water.

Deploying our existing ladder will work. Have to always set it up when anchoring for it be any use for a rescue. You can buy telescoping ladders that stowe under the swim platform.

Another idea I have is create a rope ladder using round wood rungs, thrown over the side. Then a person might be able to climb up, then step onto the swim platform. Such a thing would be easier to deploy, and I could make for a low cost. Simply 2 or 3 lines, drill holes in rungs, pass line thru holes and knot the rope at each rung.

Here is stern of the boat showing the teak platform. The platform is thick and real strong.
    [​IMG]

The lower ladder bracket is not attached here, but it sits in the center low down. Ladder hooks into 2 brackets on top outer edge of swim platform.

9. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

The few times I've used a rope ladder or scramble net were difficult, and relied on the net or ladder being tightly anchored, not swaying about.

Any mileage on a homemade larger version of a dog boarding ladder - a simple one home made from ply, with a barrel for floatation? The commercial ones are silly money, but I'd think you could knock one up out of ply and store it on the platform...

10. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

11. PAR

Anything that can't fully support your weight, like a net or a rope ladder will make getting back on very difficult, in spite of what you might imagine. Just try it in some warm calm water and you'll quickly see you need a fixed, rigid something, so you can bear against it and hoist or drag a weak and soggy butt out of the water. Anything that moves, swings, deflects, etc. under your weight, will just subtract energy from your climbing efforts. Making a swinging ladder that locks down (and up) is a pretty easy thing.

12. JSL

JSL Senior Member

Been there... Done that!
    Listen to PAR and Gonzo
    I have fallen overboard as you described but fortunately we had fitted a telescopic ladder SS under the swim grid which can be deployed when you are in the water. I was out in no time.
    Flexible conTRAPions like hoops, slings, nets, etc will require more strength and can be potentially dangerous

13. PAR

I too have had to climb netting and have tried loops and hoops sort of things. You weight just fights you and you spend as much energy preventing swinging under the boat or transom as you do trying to climb up. It needs to be rigid, to be worthwhile (just as your wife).