vessel delivery

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by fishingaz, Sep 21, 2008.

1. fishingaz

fishingaz Junior Member

hi everyone and thanks for a great site
    well this is my question.i came across a site this week about all types of delivery cars bikes trucks boats anything from anywhere to anywher and its like bidding for the job.well i cant belive anyone would sail half way around the world sight unseen.there was a 32ft catalina and bids to deliver this boat by ocean was between 15k and 38k from florida to brisbane australia.now me not knowing a great deal of passagemaking.how could anyone do that distance in an unknown boat??????it would take me a year just to plan then another to get up and go.tel me is this for real?.gary .mooloolaba australia.

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

that boat would be hard pressed to carry enough fuel between panama and the first Pacific island to hold her batterys up, unless it was a passagemaker
    i went to the CARIBBEAN to look at 50, footers and found that all the standard stock boats were same, not enough tankage to run anything, the Pacific is a big hunk of water and before I did that passage I would want a full survey For instance a 50 foot beneteau, 80 imp gals fuel, quite ridiculous
    i am not so familiar with the Cat, but any boat making that passage should be able to stand a complete knockdown, and have a vanishing angle of stabilty at least that required of entrants Syd/ Hobart race
    Shipping back is an option, easy to get a quote
    I am in Buderim, pm me if you like

3. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

4. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Seems to me that one of the pre-financial melt down spin-offs of the last 20 years has been the development of the yacht into a weekend holiday home without any concern for the practicalities of offshore sailing. Forward cabin double berths at crazy angles to the bow, massive beam with no handholds or features to break a 15 movement from one side of the yacht to the other, massive rear appendages allowing apartment size 'bedrooms', shallow undersections with no bilge or motion minimising features and thats before tankage, rigging and materials. These yachts are built down to a price or to perform marina apartment functions, not to cross oceans.

I guess the designers would say that most owners of 30-40 even 50' yachts are day sailors in and out of the marina so they dont need these attributes. Boats are even without proper anchor systems, bow rollers on the front! Saves money but when you're in danger of being pushed ono a leeshore you need something big, heavy and instantly available, not a picnic anchor somewhere in the aft locker.

Sailors have to undertsand the purpose for which their yacht was built and it is not sufficient to think because a yacht is 40-45 foot that it is capable of crossing an ocean.

My 1d's worth.
    Richard

5. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Yep, all of the things you said are true and you can call it either evolution or involution, according to your preferences. Most of modern yachts are simply a kind of trailer houses on the water. Designed to move from one marina to another in short (3-4 hours) leaps.
    But that's what the market wants and needs. Powerboats (which make the biggest part of the yachting market) are bought today mostly by wealthy people of certain age, and they use them for weekend trips and for week-long (or maybe 2 weeks long) vacations. No time to sail across the oceans and to develop the proper sailing skills. They need and want exactly the kind of boats that you have described.

Let me put here just two quotes which come to my mind right now:
    1) Il bello non è nuovo, il nuovo non è bello (literally: Beauty is not new, new is not beauty) - by Carlo Sciarelli, one of my favorite designers
    2) It's business, stupid! (just a citation, not aimed at you, of course). :)

6. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Im with Richard on this one. There is a shortage of moorings in our marinas becaus of these oversized boats. The will by two perfectly good yachts.Heave them onto the hard and use the space for a hunk of junk.

7. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Length = 40 ft
    Beam = 20 ft
    Keel to top of flybridge = 20 ft
    Power = 2 x 8.1 L V8
    Fuel = 600 L ($750)
    Range on $750 of fuel = 250 km
    Anchor = 15 lb generic-brand Danforth clone on 80' of 3/8" nylon

Sound familiar? Yep, they're overrunning my area too.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.