Very new to boatbuilding, have some questions!

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Joey Bergeron, Jul 1, 2020.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

The engine, if you get one, is the expensive part. I found the 9.9 Honda for $2,000 and replaced it with a 20 Honda under $4,000. Do comparitive pricing. The same 9.9 in central Florida ranged from 2k up to 3k depending on the dealer.

2. Joey Bergeron

Joey Bergeron Junior Member

I don't think I'll need any engine! I want to use only sails and paddles, but thanks for the tip :)

Yobarnacle likes this.
  3. hoytedow

4. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

The maple you sell to the furniture makers for money, wich you then spend on fasteners, paint, tools, and other things that don't grow in the woods by themself.
    The oak can be used for the centerline timbers and frames. Cedar and pine can be used for planking. Fir can make the entire boat asuming it is douglas fir.

Ian Oughtred has the option for "traditional planking" on all of his designs. You just have to specify this when ordering plans, otherwise you get the glued ply ones. I understand one can also deal with the designer himself for plans.
    Unfortunately I don't know of any 10m "viking" boat plans. Maybe the folks at the woodenboat forum can help you.

hoytedow likes this.
  5. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Hoyt designed and built a great skiff.

Joey Bergeron likes this.
  6. Yobarnacle

NativeTech: Native American Birchbark Canoes http://nativetech.org/brchbark/canoe.htm#:~:text=Birchbark%20canoes%20are%20most%20commonly%20associated%20with%20Native,incredible%20size%20to%20carry%20an%20amazing%2050%20paddlers.

Any big (around,, thick) birch trees in your area?

You want the bark as a long sheet width equal to trunks circumference.
    I believe it kills the tree, since the thin layer tissue under the bark is what lives.
    Birch wood makes pretty veneer and great fire wood,

Another project canoe
    Tradition https://canoe.csumc.wisc.edu/LdFCanoe_subpage_Tradition.html

Why consider a birchbark canoe as a first boat build? Finances. With luck and a silver tongue, and your own sweat, you might obtain the building materials free, or at small cost.
    If it finishes up as crooked as a snake and unseaworthy as a folded paper boat, you aren't watching thousands of dollars go up in smoke when you torch it!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  7. Yobarnacle

some small outboard are identical engines from 9 to 15 hp, just different heads and carburetors. Unfortunately, I don't remenber which makers do this trick.

Here the trick is used on larger hp engines. Maybe the same mfg do it on the smaller models. some searching should find answers on net. This came up fast.
    Horsepower ratings of Engines With Same Displacement - Moderated Discussion Areas http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/006512.html

and this! They say don't do it, though it CAN be done!
    Converting a 9.9hp to a 15hp Outboard. Modifying Outboards https://www.smalloutboards.com/modifications.htm

8. hoytedow

I think the goal is a quiet ride so the natural environs can be appreciated without disturbing the denizens. Paddle or sail as previously stated would be preferable.

9. hoytedow

10. Joey Bergeron

I like the idea of selling maple to buy other things.

If I have oak, I have very few of them, so is there any alternative?
    I do have a lot of cedar, can the entire boat be in cedar?
    The type of fir I have is balsam fir

What's the difference between traditionnal planking and glued ply ones? is it only the method of building? how do you assemble a boat with the traditionnal planking method?

Thanks a lot for the tips!

11. Joey Bergeron

I really like the idea! I do not know if I have a big enough birch tree to do that, but I'll try to find one tonight! It could be a great start!

Thanks for the tip!

12. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

You don't need much oak for a small boat. A straight piece for the keel, some curved ones for stem, stern and knees, and straight green pieces for the ribs. It needs to be white oak, red oak is not rot resistant. If you don't have oak, you sell maple or cedar and buy some. Cedar and pine are to weak and brittle for this job. Balsam fir is only good for spars (mast, boom, etc.). Traditional boats are held together by nails, rivets and screws. I linked one video, but the channel has much more. The glued methods produce stronger, stiffer and lighter boats.

13. Yobarnacle

The Lake Scows of Lake Minnetonka and White Bear Lake, Minnesota, built by Johnson's boat Works, were built of white cedar.before the fiberglass models. There were many sizes. M scows, C scows.One of the kargest was the E Scow. I use to own one. Pictured below.
    ecow.jpeg E scow.jpeg

They are very fast, with enormous rigs, and complicated to sail. Hull is 26 ft long, mast is 32 ft long. Big sails!You can see the boom is long and sticks past the transom. Requires running backstays, Twin rudders and twin bilge boards also. Lots of strings to pull!

Certainly don't recommend building one!
    White cedar is a good, strong, light weight, boat building wood., is my point.

hoytedow likes this.
  14. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

If you can get the white cedar big enough; it will work in a sheathed boat quite nicely. Get the boards rough sawn at about one inch plus. A bandsaw mill is really nice.

Read the book by Gil Gilpatrick on Strip Canoes. It'll be a go button.

hoytedow likes this.

15. Joey Bergeron

Interesting, I don't know where I could sell my maple tho, but I'll look into that! When we buy a plan, we have a list of material at the beginning I guess?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.