Vertical shear forces and vertical bending moments in regular waves

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by JoshTruman, Jan 1, 2023.

1. JoshTruman

JoshTruman Junior Member

Hello there,
    I am trying to find any book or article regarding wave induced loads - calculation of dynamic parts of vertical shear forces and bending moments in regular waves.
    Can anyone help? Some advice?
    With Best Regards

2. Alik

Alik Senior Member

This is common global strength analysis procedure. You can find it in ISO12215-6 (for small craft) or say in DNV HSLC Rules.

In fact, if we are talking of typical boat below 24m in length, global strength is not a major issue and will have safety factor of about 20 for normal stresses, and about 100 for shear stresses.
    However shear buckling is still possible for composite structures with thin skins and light cores.

So this all depends what kind of vessels we are talking about.

3. JoshTruman

JoshTruman Junior Member

Hey, I am considered about merchant vessels e.g bulk carriers.
    I have found mathematical background for wave loads in irregular sea states but i could not find something enough reliable about regular seas (sinusoidal wave).

4. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Try PNA (Principles of Naval Architecture) or SDC (Ship Design and Construction) both by SNAME. If you would like something more eurocentric I would recommend BST (Basic Ship Theory) by Rawson & Tupper.

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Is this an academic exercise, or an actual design?

If academic, there are as JEH notes, several very good references for this.
    If an actual design, then Class rules will be your guide to the minimum requirements.

6. JoshTruman

JoshTruman Junior Member

Good day, I do some research regarding influence of irregular sea states for existing bulk carriers. The model of analytical calculations for vessel response in irregular sea states including calculation of significant roll amplitudes are well described in seaway manual by jmj journee. But i Could not find model for response in regular induced wave loads.
    the main outcom is to investigate in general influence of waves described by different wave height, wave acting angle, wave period for this reference i need some theoretical backround for each methods.

7. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

It appears that you are more interested in the generation of the hydrodynamic loads rather than the straightforward calculation of the structural loads. If you are specifically interested in the background theory of hydrodynamic loads in regular waves, then get a copy of Theory of Seakeeping by Prof. B. V. Korvin-Kroukovsky and published by SNAME. The 1961 text is rather dated, but IT IS the text that most modern seakeeping is based on and is mostly paraphrased in PNA and BST. There are several PDF out on the web.

8. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

jehardiman likes this.

9. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

It has occured to me, that for a person in Lithuania, that the predominantly western sources referenced here may be hard to find locally. I am aware of several SOVIET russian textbooks on general seakeeping, however that library is no longer available to me so I don't have exact titles. There was a fair amount of scholarly books/articles post-dissolution that made it west.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.