new member, old boat

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by grown in Tx, Apr 21, 2015.

1. grown in Tx

grown in Tx Junior Member

Hi y'all, I recently purchased a 1977 17' pro line with a 1977 Johnson 85hp seahorse. The guy fired the boat up for me it started and idled fine for short time we let it run, after getting it home and starting it, it had the "lean sneeze". I am ordering the carb rebuild kit for it but, what else should I replace/look for during a just bought tune up. The water pump impeller was replaced last year from what the guy told me, it seems to be "pissing" just fine. The motor does take a minute to start when cold. Just that and the sneeze are the only obvious issues. Thanks for any input y'all have, it's appreciated.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

That engine has a choke (?), I think by 1980 they had a solenoid device that squirted priming fuel into it instead, check that the choke is closing fully, or it will be hard to start cold. You should buy a workshop manual before you start fiddling with it. Then follow instructions on how to perform a compression check, that will tell you something about the state of the internals.

3. grown in Tx

It does have a choke, I'll look a little closer at its operation. I'm going to order the manual with the carb kit. If I have time today I'll do a compression check on it. I'll post the results when I get them. Thanks for the response

4. grown in Tx

I still haven't done the compression check but, I did get to put it in the creek yesterday evening. I should be getting the carb kits and manual delivered today. I'll do the compression and check the voltage going to the spark plugs when I get the manual.
    The choke operates properly. It is allot easier to start after running some sea foam through it.

It didn't do it in the driveway but when I tried to back away from the dock, reverse was just a rapid clicking sound. After researching I think that might be a cable adjustment.
    The cough was not hardly there while running it in the water. I noticed it the most while idling back to the boat ramp
    The charging system isn't charging. I am hoping that it's just the rectifier which is cheap and easy enough to fix.
    The only other issue I noticed was it leaning a little to the port side while on plane. Not sure what that is yet.

The good news is it does not have any leaks in the hull and my wife is happy with it. Although the motor was not performing at its best yet, it seemed to be a strong motor, no overheating so I'm pretty happy with it.

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Could be the gearshift adjustment causing that. Sometimes they will go into gear both ways out of the water, but when the load goes on in the water, does not engage properly. Could be some wear in the dog clutch as well.

6. grown in Tx

update

I rebuilt the carbs and it ran a lot smoother. 3 people with a days worth of gear it ran 30mph, still had an occasional sneeze while idling. I found if I add a good fuel system cleaner like b12 or gum out with super unleaded the sneeze is almost non existent.
    I have adjusted the shift cable at the motor a couple of different ways and I cant get both gears. I plan on dropping the lower unit and checking the rod adjustment in the evenings this week, then I'll know for sure if its the clutch.

7. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

dont forget shift rod height cant be overcome by cable adjustment
    Rod needs to be the correct height
    Your 77 has a fitting on the top of the shift rod that is threaded.
    Also make sure the plastic fitting is inside it where the 2 levers go into it.

8. grown in Tx

So, i was a slacker this past week and didn't drop the lower unit. i was wondering how much deeper than the shift rod would i have go into this motor to replace the dog clutch. Since I'm gonna have it tore down anyway, (not that i have an extra 130 bucks laying around) should i just go ahead and replace it? Kinda like replacing the water pump on a car while your replacing the timing chain since you already have the front of the motor tore apart.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.