chrystler 105 lower

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by boat rookie, May 11, 2015.

1. boat rookie

boat rookie Junior Member

Hey guys,new to the boat world,bought an old chrystler 105 from a friend for cheap. When changing the oil i removed the flat head screw /pin,spent a lot of time trying to research the thing,cant find anything.is reinstalling it ok,or has something possibly moved out of place.dont want to start it up and wreck it.:(

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

There should be two screws on the gearcase, the bottom one to drain the oil, and the top one that acts as a breather when draining, and when re-filling, and so you get the level of oil right. Just re-install them nipped up tight, either that or I don't understand the question !

3. boat rookie

I got the oil changed,but i had removed a pin that had a flat head,near the bottom fill hole,apears to be some sort of keeper pin.,worried if something is out of place now internally

4. Mr Efficiency

Long time since I had anything to do with a Chrysler O/B, but I don't recall that "keeper pin". If you can obtain a workshop manual, that would be ideal. Won't the pin go back in ?

5. boat rookie

Ya i put it back in,but i had to wiggle it,afraid something moved inside, ya im going to have to order a manual.when searching the web,i found a exploded view of a chrystler,not sure if it was the same,but i looked like that pin was for a bearing of sorts,now im afraid to just run it,and break it if something needs to be aligned.

6. Mr Efficiency

What was the part described as in the exploded view ? These things are pretty ancient now, and finding someone who knows them well might not be so easy. This part must have had a seal on it, it doesn't sound like a set screw, beyond my ken I'm afraid.

7. boat rookie

the exploded view didn't say it was just a one page picture.I stumbled across it when searching Chrysler 105

8. Mr Efficiency

Is it magnetic ? Might be there to pick up metal fragments.

9. boat rookie

I didn't check to see if its magnetic,it looks like a keeper bolt that ,you would find in a differential that goes into a rear axle of a truck

10. Mr Efficiency

11. boat rookie

I will check it out,i thank you sir

12. boat rookie

that's definitely it,now what do I do?see the picture says do not remove wish they would have put that on the lower.

13. Mr Efficiency

Moral of the story, start with a workshop manual !
    Off that thread, you could try what this guy said, sounds like he is a mechanic

If you can shift it in and out of ear as you spin the prop(motor off) with your foot.
    It should be ok.
    And yes you got real lucky.
    I charge 200$ to fix that.

Obviously, ear=gear ! But I can't vouch for what is said there. And obviously he means with the part re-installed.

14. boat rookie

Youre right about the manual,i was supposed to be just changing the oil,but removed pin like a dumie,as far as the shifting into gearsif i put it in reverse prop is locked,neutral free spins,but in forward prop is locked ccw,clockwise it spins.does this mean somethings wrong

15. Mr Efficiency

Spins with clicking sounds ? That is the dog clutch if your hear that, not a problem.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.