swapping motors

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by viper38812, Aug 24, 2008.

1. viper38812

viper38812 New Member

i currently have a 1991 ranger bass boat with a Johnson gt 150 on it. i am thinking about changing the motor out with a Yamaha 150 pro v that is in incredible shape can anybody tell me what are some of things i need to watch out for if i do this as far as transom stability, changing controls, and stuff like that. also another thing is that i have hydraulic steering on my boat but the Yamaha does not. any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Don't excactly understand why you think there would be any problems? I mean outboards are changeg constantly and if the shaft length, power and weight are allmost identical, the only issues are a couple couplings or adjustment with the controls and maybe a couple of bolt holes in the transom. Hydraulic steering isn't more of an isssue than any other type of steering...

3. viper38812

viper38812 New Member

thanks alot for the advice do to financial problems i am going to have to hold off on doing this, but thanks for the advice.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.