Vendee Globe 2016

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Oct 28, 2016.

1. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Can't get the tracker to work. It loads the cartography then just sits there with no map displayed. Also goes unresponsive a lot.

<edit> Finally got it. Had to switch to a 15 year newer computer.

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Vendee

It takes 12-13 seconds to come up but after that seems to work well for me.
    Big mystery to me is why The Boss is so slow....

3. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Thanks for the links. I can't get the tracker to work either (3 or 2D) using the latest Firefox build but running XP (32 bit) with 1.5Gb Ram. I've let the 'Cartographers' know as the last race I could follow on a Win 2k box with 500Mb Ram...

Do we really need Win 10 64bit, 8Gb+ Ram and a GTX980ti? Be interesting to that spec on a mobile device....even if a RISC system....

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Vendee

Hugo Boss is now in 4th after being in 8th since the start. His speed is not showing up on the tracker.....

5. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

I did finally get the tracker up on my old box. I used task manager to shut down all non-essentials, and let it cook for 20 minutes. The job wants a lot of memory to get set up. That's in 2D mode. It seems to idle at about 350K once set up. I'm running it on Chrome/Vista. I also cleaned and defragged C to free up memory.

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Vendee

Hugo Boss has taken the lead albeit by .7 mile!
    UPDATE: Thomson as turned left towards land and is now in second place.
    UPDATE:4:53 PM Eastern Holy Smoke! Alex is now in 7th! The gamble is not paying off yet.......

Tracker: http://tracking2016.vendeeglobe.org/hp5ip0/

7. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Thanks Phil. I'll give it a go, ie defragging, freeing up stuff, etc. Hopefully XP is a bit lighter than Vista lol, or if I get really stuck I'll use the Win 7 box (4Gb Ram) which I keep off the web as much as possible. I do get a Web GL Ram warning so it looks like it is not caching correctly. I migh reallocate the memory cache partition on the hard drive.

TBH the 2012 version worked fine on the old Win2k box. Ironically I can get a track position by going to the Alex Thompson Racing website! I see he has really gone all out tight down the coast of Portugal...

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Vendee

Looks like Alex Thomsons' gamble has paid off with him 7 miles in front now,
    Pretty cool move...... Go Hugo Boss!
    UPDATE: 4:56pm Uh-oh! Thomson is back in third place and going slower........
    UPDATE:11:16pm Thomson is back in 7th and Banque Populaire and her Dali foils are stretching out their lead.

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Vendee

Alex and Hugo Boss are in 8th this morning with Banque Populaire still stretching out the lead.
    UPDATE: 1:52pm--The Boss is 9th......

10. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Has anyone else played with the "360" button on the tracker's pop-up label? Click on a boat, get a pop-up info box, and click on the "360" button. That is some pretty nice modeling and rendering. It also has some pretty silly goofs such as the the sky always moving in the wrong direction, which actually makes me seasick to watch.

I'd like to know if the motion is just scripted, or if it runs off of some RAO model using basic telemetry and sea-state inputs.

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

I just tried it with Banque Populaire and Hugo Boss and a very black picture came up in each case apparently showing the boats on stb tack with gigantic genoas that were (apparently) all black. Couldn't really make out anything . A screen came up on the right side with a bunch of detail.

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Vendee

Banque Populaire has been using its Dali foils to stretch out its lead some more. VPLP said in an audio interview that these (I think) 3rd generation foils aren't a hindrance in light air or upwind like the first generation was.

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Vendee

Alex is 9th this morning....... Banque Populaire still out front.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.