Vendee Globe 2012

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Apr 6, 2012.

1. capt vimes

capt vimes Senior Member

she didn't have it on board... it was a gift, when she "repaired" her boat back in madeira...
    also the mast for her jury-rig... ;)
    http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/...es-and-the-therapy-of-the-slow-boat-home.html

edit:
    sorry - wrong link, here is the right one:
    http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/newswire/3935/some-news-from-sam-davies.html

2. capt vimes

capt vimes Senior Member

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Vendee

Gutek out:

Today I need to officially announce what I’ve been thinking about for days. Being brave is not only about fighting, it is also about knowing where to stop.
    I know I did everything I could, working on my electronics issues for many days.
    I know my team and friends did their best as well. And I am extremely grateful for the huge support I got.
    But I can’t carry on like that. Having no autopilot means I can’t race, and if I can’t race, I have to retire.
    That’s a tough decision, one of toughest in my life. But that’s Vendee Globe, that’s the power of the ocean and you can’t fight it.

It’s like driving at night on a road you don’t know, a road with many turns, surrounded with trees. Suddenly your lights go off and you can’t slow down. How many chances do you have to survive?
    That’s what is happening with my autopilot, if you replace the road and the trees with the ocean and the waves…
    Zbigniew “Gutek” Gutkowski, Energa Sailing Team

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Vendee

More on the penalties(not even a slap on the wrist!) :

Following a protest from both HUGO BOSS and the Race Committee, several skippers were expecting the international Race Jury's decision regading the way they sailed in or trough the Finisterre Traffic Separation Scheme (TSS). The jury's decision is as follows:
    Synerciel, Mirabaud, Acciona, Initiatives Coeur and Energa are given a 2-hour penalty.
    Gamesa is given a 30-minute penalty.
    Virbac Paprec 3 is given a 20-minute penalty.

Details regarding the penalty implementation will be determined by the Race Management in consultation with the skippers. Grounds for the decision can be found in the race's official notice board.

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Vendee

Jean-Pierre Dick(Virbac-Paprec 3) has dropped back to 5th.
    Dominique Wavre on Mirabaud may have trouble: heading North at just under 1 knot.

6. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

I haven't been following all the developments. Is Bernard Stamm still in? I'm a little torn who to root for because among sailors Bernard Stamm's my hero, but among designers I'd like to see Guillaume Verdier do well.

7. capt vimes

capt vimes Senior Member

bernhard stamm is currently in 3rd...
    but this is changing all the time since there are 4 boats (stamm, gabart, riou and dick) within less than 14 nm... ;)

here is a link to the tracker:
    http://tracking2012.vendeeglobe.org/en/

8. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

9. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Enough about the race leaders. For me all eyes are on the solar powered boat (Javier Sanso - www.accionasailing.com)

Skipper web site:
    http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/skipper/39/javier-sanso.html

He's been holding up well in the top 15 boats for a long time and appears to be doing a good job. If that boat pulls off a circumnavigation it will be a good milestone for yacht design. He's using a combo of wind, solar & hydro generators...pushing the envelope on snagging energy where ever he can fetch it.

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Vendee

==============
    I agree that is a very significant effort that could help us all down the line. I wish him good luck. But I'm still rooting for JP Dick and Virbac-Paprec 3 and I have routed for that boat since the beginning because his boat is one of the first keelboats in the history of mankind to use curved lifting foils. I'd like to see him win before the class gets locked down as a one design. But I hope Acciona gets second!

11. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Yeah, the foil boat designs these days are interesting. Hopefully it performs well. Lots of cool stuff going on in this Vendee race!

12. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Fine.

Who pays for the rescue when one of these over grown dinghies disintegrate?

That is, when they are not rescued by one of their own?

Wouldn't be more sensible to make the committee and the sponsor of the boat in question pay a portion of the rescue costs?

13. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

IMHO, a sailboat that can't be kept on course without an autopilot is not a single hander. How about a new rule banning the constant running gen sets?

I think the Canting Ballast keel is one of the worst inventions in sailing history. It gets you incredible sailing speeds, if it doesn't break. And now it seems that is a big 'if'.

These things have been around for what? Twenty years? And they're still failing? Not only that, but they require an engine to work.

I think there is something wrong with this whole set up. Yeah, they get scaled up dinghy sailing speeds. But at what co$t? Keels that fall off, rams that fail, making the boat useless, and the need for an engine running ceaselessly.

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Vendee

The conclusion Gutek and his team have reached is that the bulb hit an underwater object which bent the head in such a way that it caused fatigue over a couple of days and the thing broke. The keel is still there.
    I don't think there is a thing wrong with a properly engineered canting keel.

15. capt vimes

capt vimes Senior Member

i completely agree with Doug - minus that it was not gutek who had a keel jack failure but beyou... ;)
    both keel failures we have seen so far in this vendee were due to a collision with some floating/submerged debris...
    and this could easily strip any yacht of its keel - be it fixed or movable!

who is charging containerships for their irresponsible dumping of containers, endangering everybody out there?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.