Vendée Globe 2020

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Dolfiman, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

2. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

Alex Thomson out of the race and heading for Cape Town.Very unfortunate and we won't be seeing what the latest Hugo Boss is capable of.

3. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

4. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

5. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

6. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

7. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

I complete your info >>> News from Le Télégramme de Brest " : "Arrived in the area in 17 hours, the dean of the race (Jean Le cam) unsealed its engine to perform the maneuver Recovery skipper of PRB. Le Cam, who had a problem with his engine, managed to fix it. But doing this, he lost the visual with the raft. Suddenly, the race management asked Boris Herrmann, Yannick Bestaven and also Sébastien Simon to head to the zone as well." It is the night now on zone, wind 23 to 30 with gust at 40 and rough sea state.
    Source : Vendée Globe. Escoffier dans son radeau de survie, quatre skippers à son secours - Vendée Globe - Le Télégramme (letelegramme.fr)

8. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

9. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Jean has got him.

Kevin Escoffier rescued by Jean Le Cam >> Scuttlebutt Sailing News https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2020/11/30/kevin-escoffier-rescued-by-jean-le-cam/

10. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

11. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

Kevin Escoffier about the damage :
    “It’s surreal what happened. The boat pulled back on itself in a wave at 27 knots. I heard a crack but, honestly, it didn't take the noise to understand. I looked at the bow, it was at 90 °. Within seconds, there was water everywhere. The stern of the boat was underwater and the bow pointed skyward. The boat broke in two forward of the mast bulkhead. She sort of fell back. I assure you, I am not exaggerating anything ... there was a 90 ° angle between the back and the front of the boat. "

12. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

Its great to know that a successful rescue took place.Of all the competitors,Jean Le Cam has good reason to appreciate the gravity of the situation and the experience to carry out the rescue.The description of the damage to PRB sounds like the sort of thing that could have happened to Hugo Boss,had the damage not been detected in time.I know the latest boats have extensive stress monitoring equipment embedded but don't know what was on PRB.I hope the race organisers will encourage any competitors with the data to share it anonymously so that the combined knowledge can be used to design boats that will resist the loads that such fantastic performance can develop.

13. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

14. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Arkea Paprec has suffered severe foil damage to starboard foil and his foil housing has separated from the hull. The trailing edge of the foil got crushed at the hull, but he has managed to retract the foil somehow. He has a water ingress problem and is heeling the boat to the opposite side.

15. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.