Vendée Globe 2020

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Dolfiman, Oct 25, 2020.

1. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

The main reason is to keep the strut AOA small as the boat heels. They go tail high when heeled. It also shifts the longitudinal CG a wee bit.

2. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

upload_2020-11-14_12-20-14.png

I may be slow, but I can route. Yes we Cam is the real Jean Le Cam's location overlaid on the VR.

3. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

My VR "Dolfisud" seems close to you and Jean Le Cam :
    Dolfisud.png

4. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

Hugo Boss has now a clear lead, on this video that looks easy (but its is not) :

5. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

6. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

In these reaching conditions (wind ~ 13-14 Knots, twa ~ 115°-120°), when looking at the average speeds on 24 h of foilers (Hugo Boss, Linkedout, Apivia) and the best non foiler (Yes we Cam) , it is 19,4 knots versus 17,4 Knots , so exactly 2 Knots better , 50NM /day, for foilers.
    Tracking : Cartographie - Vendée Globe https://www.vendeeglobe.org/fr/cartographie

7. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

... And that's at a TWA that's ideal for the non-foilers. I think the foilers can sail deeper downwind in moderate air. They look to have more than a two knot advantage VMG down wind. At least Hugo Boss does, with those skinny-tipped, low lateral force foils.

Doug Lord likes this.
  8. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

I had hoped to see L'Occitane closing the gap to the leaders but for one reason or another its about the slowest boat in the race for the last couple of days.I'm still hugely impressed by the speed of Jean Le Cam compared to the sailors with the latest generation of boats.

9. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

10. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

Linkedout and Apivia were a bit faster than Hugo Boss during the last 24 h, best average speed / day are presently :
    1) Linkedout : 21,2 Knots ; 2) Apivia 20,3 ; 3) Hugo Boss 20,1 : 4) Arkea Paprec 19,4 ; ..... ; 10) Yes we cam : 18,1
    More on statistics :
    Statistiques - Vendée Globe https://www.vendeeglobe.org/fr/statistiques
    They arrive that night in the Doldrums zone which seems not very active presently, but wait and see...
    tracking : Cartographie - Vendée Globe https://www.vendeeglobe.org/fr/cartographie

11. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

12. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

Video of Hugo Boss, with Alex the Vendee Globe looks like an indoor game for your living room !

Doug Lord likes this.
  13. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

14. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

15. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

Disappointing to see that Hugo Boss has been slowed by a structural issue.It happened with the last Hugo Boss four years ago and makes me wonder whether being developed in isolation from the other new generation IMOCA 60's is unhelpful.Lack of preparation time might also play a part as even Charal has had a couple of years to prepare and find weak spots and yet had to return for work.I know that in the case of Charal,it was UFO damage and at the speed of a modern boat,the energy that goes into a collision is commensurately increased.Has any word come out regarding which aspect of Hugo Boss has been affected?I do hope it isn't the same rig defect that forced Corum to retire and that some work on board will have the boat back in the race soon.It would be sad to see a boat with such potential retire but even worse to see it carry on to the most remote part of the planet and then need rescuing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.