Velvet Drive

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by DOGGYDOO, Dec 27, 2005.

1. DOGGYDOO

DOGGYDOO Junior Member

Installing A 455 Olds To A Borg Warner 72c. Have New Damper Plate With Correct Rating, Question-- Do I Use The Auto Flexplate That Came With The Engine Or Do I Need To Acquire A Standard Trans Flywheel.? If So Where Can I Source One? Dave In Fort Lauderdale. This Is A Straight Inboard Setup.

2. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

It is my understanding that Velvet Drive Trans MUST be used with a Standard Transmission type Flyweel. "Hays" is a popular manufacturer. Search "Google" to find best deals or check Auto Flea Markets for used.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You need a marine type flywheel. Also, you need to check if it is an internally balanced engine, in which case you need a balanced flywheel, or and externally balanced engine which needs a matched flywheel.

4. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

5. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

And if using a top mount starter (please do:D ) the ring gear must be on the aft end of the flywheel vs. auto type which is on the foreward end.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.