please identify this make/ reduction gear if possible

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by Northeaster, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Northeaster

Northeaster Senior Member

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone can tell by the shape/ size of this gear if it is a 1:1 gear or a reduction gear, i.e 2:1, etc

This was used in a similar boat to what I am building, with a homemade fixed surface drive, and i woudl like to know it's ratio. The owner is not often on the forums.

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Gear ratios can be very different in the same housing. It depends on the diameter and number of teeth in the gears.

3. Northeaster

Northeaster Senior Member

Thanks for the reply! Not knowing the brand, I thought there might be a chance that reduction gears could be identified from non-reduction 1:1 gears by a difference in size/ length the way that a Velvet drive 1:1 is noticably different than say the longer 2:1 or 2.91:1 models.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.