veggie oil fuel

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by adamanderr, Aug 10, 2007.

1. adamanderr

adamanderr Junior Member

is there any info on boats using veggie oil as fuel like landgoing diesels
    thanks

2. joz

joz Senior Member

Try this one ozfuturefuels.com which is on Bio Diesels I hope that helps

3. masalai

masalai masalai

http://pelena.com.au/index.htm This mob have built a boat expressly to use coconut oil. The engines are Cummins, and the boat is operating in the Solomon Islands near/around Gizo. Click on the Pelena Express item to see more.

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Many vegetable oils will do. If using used fryer oil, a certain quantity of hydroxide should be added to deacidify the oil (many foods acidify fryer oil, and even restaurants use sodium hydroxide to buffer the oil, stretching it for a few more fryer loads).
    The PH is thus easily adjusted to the correct level (I don't know off-hand what the level is however).
    If you run out of food at sea, you can eat this fuel, and stay alive for quite a while, hehe).
    Anyway, the only other thing I'd add is that in cold climates, the veggie oil will thicken enough to not flow well, and so it either must be heated, or have a flow agent added to it (don't eat it now).
    I'd go with an electric pre-heater to keep things simple.

Alan

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Coconut oil (CNO) can be used directly, needing only filtering & pre-heating to 70deg Celcius. . . . . Beware, this is very close to the flash-point of diesel & if that was brought to this temperature could lead to an explosive fire. CNO will dissolve all the diesel gunk in your fuel tanks so be ready with replacement filters for a while. Not many favour with "common rail injection systems" - don't know why? but Cummins seems happy to run CNO...

No sulphur, similar Iodine value, viscosity less than 10 (diesel = 4). Use the CNO as a lubricant in the sump too.