Vectorworks question

Discussion in 'Software' started by CGN, Apr 8, 2004.

1. CGN

CGN Senior Member

is it possible to use a spline as a trim edge?, and, are there any other splines types in vectorworks? the tool that i'm using to draw the spline is called "Nurbs curve tool".

Thanks for the help

2. ludesign

ludesign Senior Member

I assume that you have VW 10 or later. Place a 2D object over the 3D surface and use the Project tool in the 3D palette. It has a trim mode that enables you to generate trimmed NURBS surfaces. You can also build the NURBS surface as a solid and then use the Subtract, Add, Intersect, etc tools in the Model menu.

/Claes

3. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Thanks Claes thanks for your help actually that was another question that I had, but I didn't explain myself correctly in the first one what I meant to ask is, for example if I draw the 2D profile of a boat, and my sheer and fairbody are sketches drawn with splines can a I use this spline to trim lines, circles or polylines?

Many thanks for the help

Attached Files:

4. ludesign

ludesign Senior Member

I assume that by trim you mean chop off and not align to curve / surface (as in TouchCAD).

Make user that the Spline is on top of the object to be trimmed (Tool menu -> Send -> to Front, etc if not) and then use Tool menu -> Clip Surface. Despite it's name this command also works with non-surface objects.

5. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Thanks claes for your help, but still i can't make it work, and i have this message (see image), i will keep trying to found out what i'm doing wrong

Thanks for the help

Attached Files:

6. ludesign

ludesign Senior Member

Ah, it was a 3D Spline. I thought you meant a 2D Spline. Try this:

Attached Files:

7. ludesign

ludesign Senior Member

I forgot. If the lines are to be trimmed are 2D, select the 3D spline, Tool menu -> Convert copy to plygon - > No render in the dialog -> you now have a 2D representation of the 3D spline that you can use for trimming.

8. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Thanks Claes i got it, and is working fine!, many thanks for your help

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.