DOW 331 epoxy resin hardener?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by sdowney717, Feb 8, 2017.

1. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Last time I had some guys working for me "experimented" with using another hardener, it started a fire. It was quite a shock. (it was actually just a mistake).

I'd suggest you just buy the proper hardener.

3. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

Actually do you have any idea where to buy that?
    I may have some old hardener came with the DOW 331 resin, but I recall it being yellow and nasty looking, real thick like stiff glue, kinda unfriendly to work with.
    And one of the last things I coated using it, it failed, never properly setup. Maybe does it go bad?

When I called West Systems. They said old hardener can absorb water and c02 from the air and look awful but can still work.

If I had barrels of this, they could do something for me, but I only have a gallon I want to use up. They said they would have to experiment, even though their resins are based on DOW 331.
    This DOW 331 is a common basic epoxy clear resin.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.