Single Sterndrive Offset

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by fede, May 21, 2006.

1. fede

fede Senior Member

Hello, here it comes,the good old 1.000.000 $ question,hope someone is able to give an answer based on direct experience.
    We are in the process of installing a single 450 hp sterndrive on a 25' Racing Rib.
    The prop is a 28 pitch and the engine delivers 450 hp (+ or - ) @ 5800 rpm,reduction 1.5
    Rib dimensions are:
    25 lenght
    6.3 beam (inflatables excludede)
    8.4 beam including inflatables.
    I have to mount the sterndrive with an offset to contrast the turning effect
    created by the prop thrust and high power of the engine.
    The prop rotates clockwise so i would offset it's location to port...and now the 1.000 k $ question: how much???
    Once the hole is done is done and it's not possible to apply trial and error here....
    Thanks to everyone who will give it a try as usual!

2. fede

fede Senior Member

c'mon guys!! I know you can help me!

3. yipster

yipster designer

why not a BIII duoprop?

4. fede

fede Senior Member

Thanks Yipster,we already took in consideration the bravo 3 ,unfortunatly we have to use a bravo XR capable of more than 400 hp bravo 3 limit is @ 400 hp (and it's related torque) and the engine delivers more than that (more than 450 hp)
    Plus, Bravo 3 has gear rations from 1.8 up.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.