Chris Craft Capri questions

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by DanBerger, Jun 25, 2008.

1. DanBerger

DanBerger Junior Member

This is my first thread! I just purchased what I think is a '50s Chris Craft Capri and I have surfed for info for a long time. The boat needs a bottom and decking and it is missing some parts. I can get the parts, but I have some general identification issues.

First, I can't find a stamped Identification number anywhere. I haven't stripped the paint off the stingers, yet, so it could be hidden below, but it is frustrating dealing with a huge unknown. All the hardware is Capri (the windshield is the big giveaway) but I can't figure out the year.

Also, the rear deck has a hump in it that I have not seen on any other Capris on the net. It seems that they all are flat across the rear with a curve, but no 'stepped' feature. I'm talking about the wood being raised about a half inch from the cockpit back along the side. The hatch has been upholstered with white padded vinyl, but otherwise would be flush with the deck. That is a little difficult to tell from the pictures.

Any identification advice??

Attached Files:

2. DanBerger

DanBerger Junior Member

More pics

Attached Files:

3. DanBerger

DanBerger Junior Member

And some more pics. These are from the farm where I got the boat--before I could clean it up.

Attached Files:

4. nam57

nam57 Junior Member

Dan, I have a 57 capri and have the same trould finding the hull numbers. The pictures are excatly what mine was like except for the raised hatch. In the 80, the engine hatch on mine was also covered with white vinal which made a nice place for us kinds to lay on the way from the ramp to the island we spent the day at. When and if I find my hull numbers I will let you know where I find them and if you would do the same for me. Thamks and good luck.
    Neal Miller

5. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Chris Craft stamped the same serial numbers onto major wooden framing parts. Usually the number is hidden.
    Look for a number up in the bow underside area where there's no ceiling boards. Should be stamped on the side of frames you can get to. Also on the bronze strut pad behind the prop shaft inside.

Alan

6. nam57

nam57 Junior Member

Al, The strut pad that you mention, is it held on with wood screws and is were the drive shaft passes through the bottom of the boat?

7. nam57

nam57 Junior Member

I checked the peice mentioned and found the numbers"1037" just above the Chris Craft logo on the end of the plate that is nearest the engine. Is this the number I am lookin for, It looks like it may be a part number.

8. alan white

alan white Senior Member

That number should also be found on all major parts of the original boat.

9. DanBerger

DanBerger Junior Member

That should be a part number if it is on a bronze piece of hardware. It is my understanding that the ID number is actually stamped in the wood. I have looked all over my boat and all over another early 50s utility and couldn't find the stamp.

Makes me wonder how I'm going to title the boat.

10. alan white

alan white Senior Member

It is a wood part, maybe 7" x 16" held on by four screws that mount the strut underneath.
    Again, Chris Craft stamped the same number on most major framing components.
    If I had a boat that needed a title and couldn't find a serial #, I'd stamp a long number onto some obvious part like the inside of the transom, paint it, discover it, and if anyone ever actually checked, they would be a bone head anyway.
    Don't sweat it. All they really want is a number to write down.

11. DanBerger

DanBerger Junior Member

That's too funny--I like that approach!

I live 20 minutes away from the Mariner's museum and I'm dying to get the info packet on my boat. Not knowing the VIN is bothering me.

12. nam57

nam57 Junior Member

You mention a title, does the title have any infromation on it that will help me identify the boat and obtain the orginal plans?

13. nam57

nam57 Junior Member

Dan, is your capri's nose in good shape, The first two top side fames on my rotted and an attempt was made to repair it. The two frames were cut away from the stem so I no longer have a patteren to make the two replacement frames. I have attacked a picture of the area to futher explain. All I need is a picture and I should be able then to cut these two peices.

Attached Files:

14. DanBerger

DanBerger Junior Member

The stem was replaced and has since cracked, but I can try to take some close-up pictures for you. From your pics, though, it looks like my steering box is mounted a lot further back than yours. At least, that's what my memory serves me.

I listed the boat to see what I could get for it. I really want to dig into it and get going, but I have a lot of work to do on my house first..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...viewitem=&item=280243800615&_trksid=p3907.m29