Skandia

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by usa2, May 12, 2005.

1. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

she's back in the water and supposedly faster. Anyone have any design info?

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

The Bridge

I'd like to know if they used only the keel to get under the bridge-she had to be heeled 45° to get thru...
    In her last incarnation just before the Sydney Hobart Race she was beaten on corrected time by the new 66' CBTF Wild Oats and according to the reports I read almost beaten boat for boat by Oately's new boat. I wonder why?

3. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

i heard they used the keel and had a tender pulling a line attached to the top of the mast...though one wonders how much pressure the tender could put on the tip of the mast.

4. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

the lifting of the upper IRC rating limit in the sydney to hobart race will make anything under 98 feet obsolete for line honours. too bad for Nicorette, GR, and the MaxZ86's

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

10°

I'm afraid the biggest hold back to new technology in the Sydney-Hobart is the 10° static heel limitation; I had heard something a year ago that maybe they were going to rethink that. Have you heard anything in that regard?
    Boats designed to perform well with high cant angles(50° and over) will be handicapped if that rule stays in effect. It was a primary reason why the NEW Wild Oats didn't participate in the last one.

6. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

the 10 degree static heel limit will mess up the CBTF 100's i think more so than the other 100's because the CBTF system is designed to run with the 50 degree cant angle. Skandia and Maximus may not be affected as much by this rule-consider that skandia won the race 2 years ago and was leading the last one until she broke. Skandia without the rating limit is much faster because she has much more sail area now. The Z86's, Nicorette, and GR would not be able to keep up with Maximus, Skandia, and the new CBTF 100's. And KM also is adding more sail.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.