Valves for exhaust thru hull.

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by CDK, Jul 25, 2010.

1. CDK

CDK retired engineer

While anchoring in a bay, both exhausts disappeared several times in the waves of a large yacht.
    That cannot be healthy, so I tried to buy add-on rubber flaps for my 2" stainless thru hulls. NOT for sale in Europe!

One UK supplier offers a complete through hull with valve, but plastic and not fitting the existing hole and the exhaust hose, for 35 UK Pounds plus unreasonable postage.

So I played a bit with some stainless leftovers and an old car tire.....

Attached Files:

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Those look pretty good. You could make a wax mold from the prototype and cast your own from high-temperature red silicone rubber with fiberglass re-inforcement.

3. James Sun

James Sun New Member

looks nice,how's it works?

4. CDK

CDK retired engineer

The price/performance ratio is as good as can be because it didn't cost anything.
    Salt deposit in this extremely saline waters sometimes keeps them from closing after the engines are switched off. I need to press a metal bushing in the rubber to improve that.

5. mcollins07

mcollins07 Senior Member

Nice job CDK. I want to keep that idea in mind. Looks very useful.

6. James Sun

James Sun New Member

Fine, that's make sense, Salt deposit could happen on any kind of thru-hull covers.

7. mark775

mark775 Guest

CDK, I feel very strongly that these type of devices are not the way to go. (they are readily available in the states).
    Waves simply lift up the flapper as the boat goes down and the mass of water proceeds right where it wud have gone anyway. I watch it all the time while anchored next to boats with these. The are other, better means to keep water from getting ingested by your engine, e.g., surge tube, altitude, a flapper inside of the exhaust, a muffler,..

8. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Mark, there is enough height difference between the exhaust and the turbo charger to prevent real damage. I just don't want the whole hose filling up with water.

This exactly does what it is supposed to do. The flaps firmly close when waves hit the exhaust.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.