Vacuum bagging kit

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Gades, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Gades

Gades Senior Member

I'm interested in vacuum bagging. So far the only Starter Kit that I've found (in Europe) is this one:

http://www.fibermax.eu/shop/vacuum-bagging-kit-p-356.html

Anyone has any experience with it?
    What do you think about it?

At first I'll just play around with small components, like windsurfing parts (mast extensions, fins...), small dagger boards (Laser Pico) and rudders.

Any advice on what to buy to start with?

Thanks!

2. Itchy&Scratchy

Itchy&Scratchy Senior Member

West Systems also have a starter kit, you can try CFS resins in cornwall but Im not sure that they still do it.:D
    Cheers
    Justin

3. GG

GG offshore artie

How much 1s 237 euro in the states and how much vacum does it produce all it says is a medium size pump and all in all it does not look like a bad deal as long as it can pull. I was just looking at a small pump sold by west system and is a small venturi generator that devlopes 20 hg at 10 psi and that runs around $ 200 Amercian and looks like a good deal , but i am also thinking of a larger pump that weighs 16 lbs produces 25 hg vacume and has large gauges , quite and great for a small to medium shop that runs around $350 .

4. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

That's almost $400 US. Pricey but buying the individual components to get you started would likely cost more.

You could skip the pump and get an old refrigerator compressor which will do the job as well. Then all you'll need to do is source the consumables.

5. Gades

Gades Senior Member

They don't seem to have it anymore, but thanks for the link, I did find a couple of things in there

6. Gades

Gades Senior Member

Details of the pump are:
    Medium vacuum pump, wet(oil-lubricated)

single stage, 220 V
    HP: 1/4
    Net weight: 8.6 kg
    Air displacement: 2.5 CFM
    Dimensions: 315 Χ 120 Χ 240 mm
    2 X Lubricating oil included

7. Gades

Gades Senior Member

I know it's more expensive than the kits I've found in the States, but everything is more expensive here in Europe :(

I've read that refrigerator pumps don't have enough cfm.

Actually, at first I thought about buying the components wherever I could find them cheaper, but I thought it might be too much hassle, so I opted for a complete kit, so that I know that I won't be missing anything and that it'll work.

Thanks guys for the opinions!

8. Munter

Munter Amateur

I find I can pull plenty of vacuum with a recycled fridge compressor as long as the bag isn't too leaky. I use the set-up to make kiteboards in a one-shot process on a rocker table. The results are good enough to ride but a little short on presentation quality when compared to a north or underground board.
    If you're brave enough to make components you should be brave enough to make the tools!! :)

9. pamarine

pamarine Marine Electrician

I have had zero luck with West's Venturi-based system, Luckily I have access to some great stuff at work (and an oven).

I would only consider purchasing systems based on a true vacuum pump.

10. Gades

Gades Senior Member

Most of the parts that I'll be making will be used in a sailing school, so I'll try to get them as nice looking as possible.

Question about the kiteboards:
    I don't know anything about kitesurfing.
    A friend asked me if I could make a skimboard.
    The only thing that I'm not happy about with the skimboard is the sharp angle on the sides (connecting to the bottom).
    Do kiteboards have rounded edges, or sharp as a skimboard? if sharp, what material do you use (as in what gr/m) to get that nice edge?

Thanks

11. Gades

Gades Senior Member

any more advice for a newbie like myself?

12. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

I found YouTube.com a good source for info when I got started. Just search on "Vacuum Baggin" and "Resin Infusion".

My best advice came from my ole' Grampa. "If you buy a tool, buy the best and it'll last you your entire life, buy a cheap tool and you'll buy it over and over and over again!" The ole' bugger was right!

Here's my setup.

[​IMG]

I documented it here....

http://www.compositeforum.werksberg.com/showthread.php?t=2588

Those forums are a great source of info if you sign up.

13. Gades

Gades Senior Member

Hi there,
    thanks for the reply. Actually, I had already seen your post in that forum. I even tried to sign up, but they've got some Admin problems, and I've been told that my account won't be activated for a few more days.

Your kit looks impressive, really neat.
    I agree with your grandpa, if you're going to use a tool, buy the best. But my wife would kill me if I start with the best!

In about a week I should be getting my kit, so I'm sure you'll hear again from me ;)

Cheers,

Fernando

14. siva1980

siva1980 New Member

hello all,
    I am siva.i was jut reading all the scraps.From my experience let me tell you is that if we go for Vacuum infusion,the pump should be good enough to suck the resin and wet the fibre. for smaller parts the refrigerator pump can do the job but for parts with a bigger dimension you need to go for a good pump.

15. GG

GG offshore artie