Vac table surface

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by fallguy, Aug 2, 2017.

1. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

OK, so your not rolling it on.

Do not use any powered device to apply or remove the wax, the can should have all the instructions on how to use it. All coats need to removed and polished before the next one is applied.

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

No, it doesn't roll.

Okay, I'll abide by the rules of the can. I just thought I could save a little time. I am using a dobie sponge to cut it down a little where it feels rough to the touch from my lack of good polishing on the first 3 coats, and will get it all done by hand on the next coat. I got one sheet polished just now between our posts-I was using the 9" polisher, but lots of hand work, too. It is 136 square feet, so rather large. Is it the high polish or the wax that does the primary work in the release? I noticed when I put gum tape on it; the wax appeared to lift on removal, so I was going to line the inside edge of the table with frog tape to avoid any run bonding to the table, assuming frog tape is any different (perhaps silly).

Was hoping to do first two panels tomorrow.

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Would it be easier if I used a film? This is a lot of work. I am also not using gelcoat, so epoxy is going right on the table.

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

The surface should be smooth and shiny, or at least as smooth and shiny as the surface was prior to waxing, there should be no roughness from the wax on the surface.

5. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

6. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

The parts released fine with 4 coats of mold magic. We will continue to coat the mold between parts with a single coat over the affected surfaces for insurance. Thanks.