39' Wavepiercer Flint Design Trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Dave Gudeman, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Dave Gudeman

Dave Gudeman Senior Member

Here is an interesting Trimaran that I found on yachtworld. Does anyone know who Flint is or know more of the story behind the design? The sales info just comments that he passed away before being able to finish production.
    [​IMG]
    This design looks like an interesting compromise between a regular trimaran and a monohull. The amas are small and fairly close together so that the beam is not so great. Presumably you could get this boat in a normal 40' berth.

Also interesting is that they claim that with a gas engine this boat could do 20 Knots. The gas engine has been replaced with electric and it only does 5 Knots now.

Any advice for a potential buyer? If I bought this and put in a gas engine, does anyone believe it would do 20 Knots and still be light enough for reasonable sailing?

Those amas look like they might be solid pieces. What are the chances that they will be come water-logged and heavy and I won't be able to fix them?

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

It seems to me that it wouldn't be a good monohull or a good trimaran-at least under sail.The amas have very little to add to RM being so close to the main hull with very little freeboard that could be immersed. And the "cross arms"(struts?) would get close to waves in a hurry. I'd say pass this one up.

3. Brorsan

Brorsan Junior Member

The mast height is fairly low and the total sailarea not that great so i guess the amas will do fine for "normal" winds. With this boat you get the same volume as a monohull, but a little faster, less heal, and the ability to get into beaches. Maybe it "can" do 20 knots at motor, but that would take alot fuel. Dont compare it to multis, compare it to monos.
    /Brorsan

4. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Not sure if I agree with Borsan here. If you have a look at wavepiercer cat ferries they have similarities with this design. The big difference is that the hull like bridgedeck is actually doing some flotation in this design. In regular wave piercers it is high above. There is the chance for interference drag.

If there was a motor change it probably means something. So my guess is the boat's performance was not as good as designed. The biggest problem I see with using this as a cruiser is that the immersion rate of the floats will be very low. This will mean she will be very sensitive to loading. The CG is very high too. The problem of using the design concept of large wave piercers is that design rules of big boats often don't translate to smaller boats because of the square cube rule.

She could be a good motor boat with sail assist with the wind aft. Don't reach with the thing in a blow.

cheers

Phil

5. Dryfeet

Dryfeet Junior Member

Don't. Even. Think. About. It!

6. Dave Gudeman

Dave Gudeman Senior Member

Well nuts. I'm still looking for that magic shallow-draft go-anywhere sailboat that can get up to 20 Knots under power when I have somewhere that I want to be.

7. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

buy a magregor.

8. Brorsan

Brorsan Junior Member

Why would a mcgregor be better than this one?

9. sandy daugherty

sandy daugherty Senior Member

It will have SOME resale value.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.