Will Aerodux Resorcinol 185 bond to cured epoxy

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by abosely, Sep 1, 2023.

1. abosely

abosely Senior Member

I have looked for the answer but haven’t found anything addressing whether Aerodux Resorcinol 185 will bond to cured epoxy, as in gluing a piece of IPE to wood sheathed in glass & epoxy.

From reading all the substrates that it will bond properly, I would guess that it does.

But thought that since it bonding to epoxy isn’t mentioned, is because it doesn’t?

Will be using aAerodux Resorcinol 185 resin & 155 hardner for some IPE components and if it will bond to epoxy would be nice to use it to glue some pieces of IPE to epoxy parts.

So thought I would ask to be sure there isn’t some incompatibility between Aerodux Resorcinol 185 and epoxy.

Cheers, Allen

2. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

It's Ipe, pronounced E-pay, It's a Brazilian hardwood species. Its strong, tough, and a bit brittle (it can break like glass). It requires special fastening. When it wants to warp (from differential moisture or temps) it generates big forces. It's not any less stable than other woods, it just generates huge forces when it tries to move. I wouldn't trust any glue with it outside. It needs to be mechanically fastened; and use a fastener schedule like for hard, old growth white oak.

3. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

I have no idea if aerodux will safely and permanently glue on epoxy. A good rule of thumb is to not try dubious chemical mixes if you have not the financial means of scientific trials. On Epoxy sheathed wood it's safer to use epoxy, if possible the same as the original epoxy; or at least truly compatible.
    Besides why Ipe wood? it's extremely heavy, has tendency to move with huge force as pointed by philSweet like all these very hard, heavy and durable tropical woods. It's a very durable wood but i have never seen anyone trying to glue it on luxury terrace decks. It's always screwed and bolted. Probably it has the same problem as most of these hard woods, extremely difficult to glue because of oils. And the Brazilian are destroying the Amazonian Forest to get a few trunks of luxury hard wood...
    What do you want to make with Ipe on boat? Trying to make an English style teck deck, like did some builders a long time ago on wood epoxy monohulls with no so good results?

4. abosely

abosely Senior Member

Was thinking of using it for pads under beams.
    But sounds like not an optimal wood to use.

5. Ilan Voyager

For this job, just pads, you need only to give enough surface to spread the load. Any medium "hard" wood like Douglas Fir with a good fillet and eventually some glass fiber will do the job. Even a good "dense" white cedar would do the job. And use a good resin for wood/epoxy building easy to use and sand for the job.
    The Raka 127, the thin one for wood, is a good easy tolerant resin and you can get kits at very decent prices. I have used it with excellent results with a great variety of woods building and repairing and even for treating blisters on polyester.
    The link Standard Epoxy Kits - Raka Inc https://raka.com/product/standard-epoxy-kits/

6. Ilan Voyager

I forgot something in my reply and I'll write it for general information.
    These very old resorcinol glues, besides making violet-brown stains everywhere and being highly toxic, need perfectly mating surfaces (optimum gape less than 2/10 mm or 1/1000 inch) and lots of pressure, and I mean a lot, not simply a vacuum bag working on a vacuum cleaner or some cheap chinese clamps, we are talking of 3 to 14 kg/cm2 on some structures, at least 1 kg/cm2 on planes. It's pretty brittle and it's unable of gap filling. Keep it for some fireproof structures, large structural beams and waterproof plywoods.
    The old guys like me who have made cold molded wood with resorcinol have cried of joy when the epoxy glues became common in boat building mid seventies. That became so easy and simple...

keith66, kapnD, gonzo and 2 others like this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.