V Impressive - Safe Fingers at last

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by rwatson, Jul 21, 2009.

1. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

PAR - yes, you can disable the blade-stop feature on the Sawstop. There's a manual override to use if you're cutting aluminum or other conductive material.

The saw can be returned to service after it trips; this involves replacing the blade, the brake block and the fusible link that holds the brake block in place. (And re-compressing the friggin' big spring that drives the block into the blade.) Not sure how much this costs, but probably a couple hundred bucks or so to put it back in service.

My main concern with it would be that the system does involve a DSP (digital signal processing) chip to decide when the electric charge on the blade has dropped quickly enough to trip the stop mechanism. I have a hard time trusting computerized stuff, and I would certainly not ease up on normal safety precautions as a result. (Indeed, I would probably not even tell anyone using the saw that it had the self-stop feature.)

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Wow. What some people will do to make a sale! Things do malfunction once in a while. I wouldn't hjave done it for love or money!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.