Ignorance ain't so bliss... I need direction!

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Woobs, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Woobs

Woobs Junior Member

To you, the experts ! :)

I have fallen in love with a boat.

Here's the story; I have rough line drawings of a specific boat (example below). There are "some" details but clearly this is not a set of plans one could build from. The boat has been built before but, I cannot locate any plans or an original boat to copy... just some pictures. Plywood hull. Approximately, 17' LOA /84" Beam. (Sterndrive)

As far as boatbuilding is concerned I am a beginner,...well, to quantify, I have owned (and do own) wood boats but, I would like to build this boat.

So my questions are: What do I need to do to have "building" plans made? What would a full set of building plans entail? Whom do I contact to do this? And what kind of resources would I need to have a set of building plans made (how much)?

Thanks for any help, info or advice (in advance) :)

Attached Files:

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

3. Woobs

Woobs Junior Member

Thanks, I already have a mahogany runabout though....

Glen - L does not have the design. I'm looking to build this specific design.

Here's my Greavette...

Attached Files:

4. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

5. Woobs

Woobs Junior Member

Thank-you for the suggestions, they look like nice boats.
    However, if I may reiterate, I am specifically looking to build this specific design.

It is a 17' LOA with a 7' beam and a 24 degree deadrise powered by an v8 through an I/O unit.

I need help finding designers that can work with what I have got.

6. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

7. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

8. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

9. peter1708

peter1708 Junior Member

Woobs,

The link below:

http://intheboatshed.net/2014/02/17...etro-speed-boat/bunduki-paul-dyer-dsc_4859-2/

Shows an image of a boat named Bunduki. The construction was profiled in a magazine called Small Boats Monthly, December 2014 issue, I think. I believe the design is based on a Donzi Sweet 16 (more or less). Deep V, inboard/outboard power (although Bunduki was built with a jet), nice tumble home or barrel back stern.

Here is another image of Bunduki:

[​IMG]

Pete

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  10. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Peter1708's suggestion seems a lot closer to what the OP is looking for, but as for "working with what I've got", what have you got besides that plan drawing ?

11. Woobs

Woobs Junior Member

The Gentry is also a nice looking boat but it does not have a 24 degree deadrise.
    Yes, Bunduki is much closer and is a deep V inspired by the Ski Sporter 16.
    What I'm looking for is basically a Formula Jr. made in wood or more correctly, like a Wynn-Mill II.

I have line drawings, pictures and some specifications.

I have been contacted by someone that does this kind of design work. Are there any more?

12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Woods, those old barrel back and similar designs were developed long before high deadrise bottoms where employed. If you've been "contacted" by someone that "does this type of work" maybe you should check them out. I say this because, most reputable designers don't solicit themselves this way. A few regurgitations of these old designs are available, some with ridiculous amounts of deadrise. Why do you think you need 24 degrees? An offshore, high speed powerboat can utilize 24 degrees, but few other types of boats, actually need this much.

13. Woobs

Woobs Junior Member

Look at the pictures: (from left to right)

Formula Jr., LOA: 17'1", beam: 84", deadrise: 24 degree
    Donzi Ski Sporter, LOA: 16' 7.5", beam: 84", deadrise: 24 degree (my current project boat)
    Wynn Mill II, LOA: 17', beam: 84", deadrise: 24 degree
    Greavette Sunflash IV, LOA: 18" 1", beam: 85", deadrise: 22.5 degrees (my current boat)

This is just 4 local examples that fit the general specs. I have plenty more from the historic race boats of Cowes , England. All of these designs are excellent handling boats that have a great ride, fun to drive, dry and can handle bigger water. I actually do know what I want.
    The boat I will build will reach 70mph... and could possibly do more although I wouldn't want to be the one that does it :)

I don't know why you are surprised ... I went on a boat designers forum and asked for design help. Someone that understood what I needed and knew how to help, answered me (they were not soliciting) and offered the help I asked for. Of course I asked for others to (as you say) "check them out", by comparison. All help is welcome!

People on this forum are very helpful , nice people. Probably because they are not only passionate about what they do but, about boating in general. In my 30 years of boating I have met many, many such people and it's one of the best parts of the hobby.

Attached Files:

14. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

My apologies, most that want a barrel back runabout, aren't interested in 70 MPH performance capabilities. It's not that these don't exist, as I mentioned, but the need (in an antique styled runabout) isn't usually necessary, for the average builder. You're clearly more knowledgeable and experienced, making this exception applicable.

15. Woobs

Woobs Junior Member

Well, I don't know about knowledgeable... I just know what I want, and that I have not got a HUGE check book (or Id just hire Van Dam Boats to make me one...maybe if I win the lottery) :) Clearly, I could be a better communicator too :)

Many boats at the ACBS events nowadays are `Gentlemen`s Racers` or Gold Cup replica type race boats. There are also older racing launches and even some hydroplanes of the 60`s. All very nice (and beautiful boats) but, over represented and quite frankly, before my time... so they do not really excite.

I would like to build a 2 seater tribute to the Cowes-Torquay racers of the early-to-mid 1960s (Im that age). An age when newer designs and technologies were coming to bear but, before fiberglass, aluminum and carbon fibre were introduced. No cats, hydroplanes, v-drives or outboards for me. basically, a gentleman's racer for a much younger gentleman, uh.. guy.

Here are some English racers of the type. ***note*** all of these are wood construction.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.